Talk

Advanced search

bloomin' fussy child

(2 Posts)
hattieboomboom Wed 19-Oct-11 15:40:35

Just after some advice on dealing with 14 month old DS’s extreme fussiness over food. I’m sure this is one of the most common problems shared on Mumsnet but its driving me mad nonetheless.

He doesn’t have a very big appetite, and that I can deal with. But it’s the refusal to properly try food that I find hardest. The only things he gobbles up are bread or toast, fruit, and yogurt. So I try to put proper things on the toast, like avocado (which he likes), sometimes with tiny amounts of mashed beans or hidden bits of chicken, cheese and tomato, sometimes a tiny amount of ham, or some baked beans, but these toppings do make him less willing to eat. The only proper meals he will eat a decent amount of are pasta with my home made tomato and veg blended sauce, with cheese on top, and a thing I make with sweet potato, red lentil and broccoli, again with cheese on top. And he loves peas – he’ll eat a bowl full of them. But I struggle to get him to eat decent amounts of anything else, even if he hasn’t eaten for four hours and I know he’s hungry. One mouthful takes away the hunger then he just isn’t interested and wants to get down.

I don’t give snacks as I want him to be hungry at mealtimes. When he refuses food, I try not to give in and immediately make him something else I know he’ll eat, as I want him to learn he’s got to eat what he’s given. The other evening, when I knew he was hungry, I made him cheese and ham pasta (which all children love don’t they?!) I touched the spoon to his mouth so he got a taste of it, but he refused to eat any of it. So I got him out of the highchair so he’d realise it was that or nothing. He cried and acted as though he wanted to be put back in his highchair, and then got distracted by something and played for 20mins or so, before remembering he was hungry. So I put him back in his highchair and he sat waiting whilst I brought out the same dish, but exactly the same happened. So I got him down again and he was so upset that I went into the kitchen to cook a load of peas, which I mixed cheese and ham pasta into. He ate the lot. I know there was nothing about the taste or texture of the cheese and ham pasta that he didn’t like – he likes cheese on other things and likes pasta, and there was only the tiniest amount of ham in it. It’s as if he didn’t recognise what I giving him, or couldn’t see any of his favourite things in the food so refused on those grounds.

He’s ok with finger food, but won’t eat much that way, unless its bits of toast etc. He seems to prefer to be spoon fed. He won’t eat fish fingers, he won’t eat omelette or scrambled egg, he won’t even eat pieces of cheese. He won’t eat fish pie or anything else with mashed potato on it, although he will eat sauté potato or chips. He won’t eat pasta with salmon/cheese/broccoli. He won’t eat rice dishes (but he will eat rice pudding).

Breakfast is fine – usually porridge with mashed banana, marmite on toast or fruit.

I try to eat with him sometimes, but it isn’t usually practical and even if I could do it more I don’t think it would help anyway, as he’s exactly the same at nursery where he refuses to eat whilst sitting with other children who are eating. I don’t think its teething as he’s just always been a fussy bugger and I haven’t noticed a pattern to it. He does have a lot of teeth though for his age, so I guess he’s been almost constantly teething for the last 8 months. Could this be a factor? As for milk, he has 5oz in the morning and 7oz at bedtime. So pretty sure I’m not filling him up on that.

Does anybody have any advice, or does anybody have a child that used to be like this and grew out of it? It would be so nice to know it’s probably a phase that he will grow out of, as I find it so incredibly stressful. Or, am I totally overeacting as this is quite normal?! Also, he’s getting fussier than he used to so if anybody has any advice for nipping this in the bud then I’d be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

MrsHeg Thu 20-Oct-11 12:11:07

This sounds exactly ike my DS. He is nearly 2 and he is starting to try new things but has been consistantly hard work. He would hapliy live entirely on fruit (in any format), bread and sweeties. He refuses pasta, mash, or rice. I have now decided to completely relax about it as i am sure he will grow out of it and the more stressed i am about it the less he eats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now