Talk

Advanced search

Freezing milk?

(9 Posts)
skrumle Tue 18-Oct-11 13:19:56

The artic blast has hit us this morning and it's making me contemplate how to survive the winter if it's as bad as last year...

we tend to have plenty of cereals in, but they obviously need milk - does anyone freeze milk? does it really taste OK? does it affect how long it lasts once opened? and we don't have a chest freezer, just freezer drawers below the fridge - it's not going to burst all over everything else is it???

prioneyes Tue 18-Oct-11 13:21:00

I freeze milk all the time. It's fine. Really. Just needs a wee shake once thawed out.

iskra Tue 18-Oct-11 13:27:20

i always have milk in the freezer. it's fine.

skrumle Tue 18-Oct-11 13:30:36

do you thaw in the fridge?
thanks!

prioneyes Tue 18-Oct-11 19:43:10

Yes, although I tend to leave it on the draining board for a few hours first. It stays lumpy and icy for ages otherwise.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 19-Oct-11 09:49:48

We stock up at work for themonth, and freeze Semi-Skimmed all the time. We de-frost by popping it in a bowl of hot water (which soon turns cold). Never a problem.

Bloodredrubyblue Wed 19-Oct-11 12:47:44

I always have a few pints in the freezer so we never run out of milk. Just thaw on the draining board and there is no difference in taste.

HauntForTheBeast Wed 19-Oct-11 17:12:40

I had to thaw emergency frozen milk this morning for very necessary cup of coffee, and I did it in the microwave - took about 15 mins, but worked really well!
Usually also do it either in fridge or draining board.

Shutupanddrive Fri 21-Oct-11 16:47:44

Yes it's fine, I usually thaw it in the sink and run warm water over it if I need it quicker! Lasts as long a milk normally would after opening it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now