Talk

Advanced search

What are the consequences for not using barley wine in delia's christmas pud recipe??

(10 Posts)
TelephoneTree Mon 17-Oct-11 22:16:48

Assuming I make up the difference with stout....

gushofbloodtothefloor Mon 17-Oct-11 22:22:01

The world will end of course grin

(says she who spent several weeks trying to track some down, only to find a tin in the local off-licence)

I should think making the difference up with stout will be fine. The pudding is SO rich anyway, no-one will notice.

Mmmm, Xmas pudding <drool>

TelephoneTree Mon 17-Oct-11 22:47:37

That's what i'm afraid of grin
I seem to remember not being able to tell much difference in the smell between BW and stout (uneducated that I am).
I luuuuurve christmas pud and no-one else does but I must make it all the same!!

NormanBatesTheForeman Mon 17-Oct-11 22:49:36

If you use another very strong beer, it will be fine.............

It will still turn out like a Christmas pudding......

I have made this recipe many times.

TelephoneTree Tue 18-Oct-11 07:56:17

ooh like what beer? I'm a bit ignorant on the beer front - stout + ??

TelephoneTree Tue 18-Oct-11 21:41:22

also i'm having trouble getting whole candied peel - is there any noticeable difference if I was to use regular mixed peel??

gushofbloodtothefloor Wed 19-Oct-11 10:01:25

No, none whatsoever. Bless you grin

Though Waitrose may be the place to look

TelephoneTree Wed 19-Oct-11 20:09:23

blush
grin

CheeseandGherkins Wed 19-Oct-11 20:21:00

Buy the chopped mixed peel and it'll save you hours wink, it says on the recipe that you can sub the wine for more stout, I did that last time I made it smile

Millie1 Fri 21-Oct-11 16:02:08

I always use stout in Delia's recipe and never use any form of peel, as I hate the stuff! Just make up the difference with other fruit and sometimes put cranberries in. It's a gorgeous recipe. Getting hungry now thinking about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now