Talk

Advanced search

urgent ideas for 2night pls - recipe for monkfish; no bacon/parma ham

(9 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Sat 15-Oct-11 19:11:41

got monkfish for tonight, intended wrapping in parma ham but forgot to buy it and and don't have streaky bacon & can't got out to get any as have had wine. It's "only" for the family ie not dinner party.... just planning on seasoning & pan frying now but any other ideas welcome (not cooking for 30 mins or so). Thanks

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Oct-11 19:24:35

I used to make a nice monkfish salad but have lost the recipe. I used to grill the monkfish in cubes and also some sort of cheese, think it was hallomni. Then loads of sald leaves and balsamic vinegar.

Where did you get the monkfish from, all the supermarkets seem to have stopped selling it.

lilolilmanchester Sat 15-Oct-11 19:41:26

hi Viva, we've got a fab fishmonger locally, wasn't cheap, but will be good as very fresh and just intended cooking simply. I've only ever done it in parma ham/bacon so not really sure what to do without it! Well, will just fry it simply I think

Hungrydragon Sat 15-Oct-11 19:44:57

Beer batter made with cider instead of beer is yummy, served with Mayo and fries <salivates>

lilolilmanchester Sat 15-Oct-11 19:55:19

oooh, cider batter sounds worth a try - but not tonight, my DH would probably divorce me if I battered monkfish!

Hungrydragon Sat 15-Oct-11 20:01:10

I was of the same opinion about battering it till I tried it grin it works really well as it's more like tempura batter.

Sleepwhenidie Sat 15-Oct-11 20:09:12

Season fish and brown in pan, then transfer to oven to cook through. Boil new potatoes and then squash with a fork (so they are crushed, not mashed). Throw in a large bunch of torn watercress to potatoes and to this add olive oil, seasoning, balsamic vinegar and the juices from the fish baking tray/pan. Serve fish on top of the crushed pots and watercress, with a drizzle of balsamic over. Delicious.

lilolilmanchester Sat 15-Oct-11 22:15:09

thanks all..... so... seasoned fish with a mix of salt, pepper, ground herbs..... pan fried.... served with tomato, onion, sweetcorn salsa & glug of "this thread inspired" balsamic. Sides of roast pots, carrots, green beans. Very nice, & very simple.Didn't need the parma/bacon after all!!!

Hungrydragon Sat 15-Oct-11 23:02:23

That sounds lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now