Talk

Advanced search

mozzerella - use by yesterday - would you use it?

(14 Posts)
roundabout1 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:39:24

I have 2 bags of mozzerella, the balls in the bags in brine or whatever, both use by yesterday. Was planning to make pizza but never got round to it, would you use it or bin it?

QueenofJacksDreams Fri 14-Oct-11 14:44:52

Has the packaging bloated with gas? If not I'd use them its pretty obvious when Mozerella is off as the package bloats really badly.

roundabout1 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:48:48

no they seems just like normal, not puffed up. Great, dp says they will be fine but I do tend to be a bit neurotic with dates espeically with the kids eating it. Thank you

Hullygully Fri 14-Oct-11 14:49:54

Don't even open them you will die instantaneously and so will your whole neighbourhood.

headfairy Fri 14-Oct-11 14:50:19

Yes I would, in fact I gave some to the dcs that was a day past it's use by date, they're still here!

headfairy Fri 14-Oct-11 14:50:42

grin hully

BlueChampagne Tue 18-Oct-11 13:13:22

I'd use it too. By the way, did you know you can freeze mozzarella successfully?

skrumle Tue 18-Oct-11 13:16:51

use!

Greythorne Tue 18-Oct-11 13:33:08

Yes, use it
If you are worried:
Check the bloating or otherwise of the bag
If bloated, do not use

If normal looking and smells ok, then use

I suspect after one day, it will be fine

worldgonecrazy Tue 18-Oct-11 13:37:24

If I'm worried about fresh cheeses I give a little bit to the cat. If she turns her nose up I know it's gone off. If she eats it, I know it's still okay.

roundabout1 Tue 18-Oct-11 16:00:16

Freezing mozerella would be great especially as we only use it on pizza. Can you use it on a pizza straight from frozen?

gazzalw Tue 18-Oct-11 16:03:20

Mozzerella is a funny one because it never has a very long fridge-life does it....often get caught out by buying it, leaving it in the fridge for a couple of weeks and then discovering I've missed the use-by-date.

If it hasn't bloated use it - could always use it in a cooked form to kill off any potential lurking bugs. wink

MackerelOfFact Wed 19-Oct-11 09:38:39

It will have putried to the point of lethal toxicity at midnight last night. I wouldn't chance it. The mozzerella, it knows.

Nah, it'll be fine.

BlueChampagne Wed 19-Oct-11 13:23:22

Don't know - I always defrost first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now