Advanced search

If an American recipe says flour, which one do they mean?

(6 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Oct-11 14:00:08

it's for little cheesy puff cracker things.


happypotter Fri 14-Oct-11 22:56:04

I live in NY now so I might be able to help. The supermarkets sell what they call 'all purpose' flour. I have only found one shop that sells self-raising, I haven't seen plain anywhere. Similar with sugar, they seem to have a 'general' sugar to cover all jobs and don't even get me started on the 'confectionary' sugar which is meant to be similar to icing sugar! All guests now have to bring some silver spoon with them smile

So in answer to your question, I guess they mean 'all purpose' flour but I don't know enough about baking to suggest what you should use. HTH.

gushofbloodtothefloor Fri 14-Oct-11 22:59:46

Given that they seem to be a bit raised then surely it must be some form of self-raising flour else they'd be flat. Just try it - what've you got to loose?

VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Oct-11 23:01:07

Thanks, I did it with sr and they're ok.

gushofbloodtothefloor Fri 14-Oct-11 23:02:23

Glad to hear it

sorry, hadn't 'clocked' the time of your original post!

cookielove Fri 14-Oct-11 23:03:13

If my memory serves me correctly you would want self raising flour, as most american is all purpose which contains it already. My mum is American and uses some American cook books <ahem cookie books> grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: