Talk

Advanced search

Starter for pregnant dinner party guest

(12 Posts)
oldenoughtowearpurple Fri 14-Oct-11 12:05:52

Help! what can I serve as a starter to a pregnant dinner party guest that doesn't involve mushrooms or chicken (main course). I have one excellent suggestion in Pea Tarts but wonder if anyone has others. And is Smoked Salmon OK for pregnant people?

BlingLoving Fri 14-Oct-11 21:37:55

Haha. Depends how paranoid your friend is. Soup is probably safest. (I ate smoked salmon, but lots of pregnant women won't).

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Fri 14-Oct-11 21:39:29

Grilled goats cheese log on toast with red onion marmalade. Make sre the cheese is cooked.

OR avocado!

fivegomadindorset Fri 14-Oct-11 21:40:41

Caramelised red onion puff pastry tarts. Easy and delicious on their own or with goats cheese, pasteurised off course. I ate smoked salmon, not sure if I was meant to.

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 14-Oct-11 21:40:59

Some pregnant women I have known are iffy about fish full stop. hmm. They kind of think that because they can't have sushi for example, this extends to all fish. So from that I would avoid the smoked salmon.

How about some melon? Different colours either prepacked or do your own? Or soup. If the pea tarts are home made sounds a bit of a faff (but I am quite lazy!)

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Fri 14-Oct-11 21:50:26

Smoked salmon - not cooked, so no no.

BlingLoving Fri 14-Oct-11 21:53:44

I would not serve goats cheese, even cooked. I know a lot of women who won't eat it, even cooked. Ditto blue cheese etc.

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 14-Oct-11 21:55:42

I would avoid cheese too, unless it is cheddar or something very straightforward. (I ate quite a lot of stuff during pregnancy that other people avoided, some women are very anxious and "careful"). Best to err on the side of caution.

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 21:59:13

Avoid cheese and salmon - some women are very sensitive of smells and whiffy cheese may just turn her stomach.

Mini quiches or tartes would be good.

Or these in miniature version with sour cream dip. They are really really easy and totally yummy.

stripeybumpinthenight Fri 14-Oct-11 22:02:27

I eat everything! DH said I have to stop with my nice ham addiction - I quote 'he's going to come out with a Parma ham-related disorder if you don't cut it out' blush I do eat it almost daily, at the risk of outing myself.

But yy, no nice cheese, no nice ham, no pate, no nice stuff basically, to be on the safe side.

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Fri 14-Oct-11 22:13:02

Stuffed pepper?

googietheegg Thu 20-Oct-11 12:08:01

how about a salad of figs (carefully washed!) with mozzerella and rocket (also washed) with a lemon/honey/olive oil dressing? Serve with plenty of crusty bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now