Talk

Advanced search

Griddle pan-problems!

(10 Posts)
Sleepglorioussleep Thu 13-Oct-11 19:43:30

Have a lovely new cast iron griddle that I had so been looking forward to using. But the steak stuck really badly today and I was really disappointed with the results. Any tips from successful users?

bigTillyMint Thu 13-Oct-11 19:44:25

Did you put some oil on it first?

LoveInAColdGrave Thu 13-Oct-11 19:44:40

Don't oil the pan, oil the meat.

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 13-Oct-11 19:56:16

So...I oiled the meat-perhaps not enough? Could it be the temperature?

LoveInAColdGrave Thu 13-Oct-11 19:58:22

Hmmm, I am out of ideas! When I first had mine, I filled the house with smoke until someone pointed out I ought to be oiling the meat, not the pan. Maybe more oil? I slap it on pretty liberally with one of those silicon pastry brushes, and cook as hot as possible for steak.

ColdSancerre Thu 13-Oct-11 20:02:40

I had this, I even seasoned it in the oven with oil and salt before I first used it and it still happened. Despite this, it is now brilliant, never does it. Persevere. I seasoned it after every time I used it for the first few times.

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 13-Oct-11 20:06:43

Ah...seasoning. They said it was Pre seasoned but perhaps it still needs it. How do I do that? Will def persevere-if nigella loves it...

ColdSancerre Thu 13-Oct-11 20:17:39

If you scroll down here they give instructions.

I still season mine after every few uses now.

Wigeon Thu 13-Oct-11 20:24:29

Get it really really hot before you put the meat on it.

LoveInAColdGrave Thu 13-Oct-11 20:24:39

Oh yes, I did season mine before using. But have never done so since... perhaps I should.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now