12oz granulated sugar
3 cloves
1 tsp ginger, grated
¼ tsp star anise powder
¼ fennel powder
A pinch of cardamom powder
A pinch of salt
1 tsp (or more) chilli flakes

Mix together the apples and sugar in a large saucepan. Leave on a low heat until the juice begins to seep out of the apples. When there is juice in the pan you can increase the heat (this is just so the sugar doesn?t burn). Don?t stir the mixture with a spoon, simply swirl it in the pan if you want nice big pieces of apple in your chutney.

When the sugar begins to caramelise and the mixture reduces to thick syrup add the ginger, star anise powder, fennel powder, cardamom powder, salt and chilli. Cook on a very low heat for 2-3 minutes then remove from the heat. The heat left in the pan should be enough to finish cooking the spices perfectly.

Fill the chutney into a sterilized glass jar and keep in the fridge. It should keep well for a few months.

Great with cheese, but also fab just on some toast.

Apple Mint Jelly
1kg apples, peeled and cored
1 litre water
50g fresh mint, chopped
500g caster sugar

Put the apples and 2 tablespoons of water to a large saucepan, cook for twenty minutes over low to medium heat. Spoon the mixture into a large sieve and let the juice drain into a bowl. (Try to leave for 3 hours).

Add the mint and 1 litre of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes.

Pour in the strained apple juice and add sugar. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and and simmer gently for 40 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into sterilized jars.

Delicious with lamb, as a nice change from standard mint sauce/jelly. Also goes really well with cold meats.

Apple and Rosemary Jelly
2¾ lb cooking apples
Juice of one lemon
Sugar
2 medium sprigs rosemary

Wash the apples and cut off any bruised bits and cut the apples into chunks without peeling or coring.

Put in a pan with the lemon juice and enough cold water to cover and bring to the boil and simmer until the apples are very soft and the liquid is reduced by a third.

Strain the apple mixture through a jelly cloth or muslin overnight. Don't squeeze the apples though, as this will make a cloudy jelly.

Measure the strained liquid and for every 450ml of liquid add 450g sugar. Put the apple liquid, sugar and rosemary sprigs into a large pan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and then boil rapidly for 10 minutes or until setting point is reached.

Put the jelly in to warmed, sterilised pots, cover with a waxed lid (or circle of greaseproof paper) and seal. Will keep for ever!

This is great with any meat, but particularly lamb and pork.

ColdSancerre Thu 13-Oct-11 17:50:21

Everyone gets one vote in each category, post your choice below and I'll tot up the results, voting open until Sunday evening.

Next we'll do Halloween recipes?

Kveta Thu 13-Oct-11 18:50:32

Rhubarb and Ginger Jam
Red Onion Marmalade.

not sure if I'll find any rhubarb to cook though, it's not exactly in season. what kind of fool would suggest it for an October cooking thread? grin grin

ColdSancerre Thu 13-Oct-11 19:02:09

Apple butter
Red onion marmalade

HauntForTheBeast Thu 13-Oct-11 19:24:41

Is the MN Cook Club something new, something "private" or just something that has (along with many, many other things) completely passed me by? grin

Kveta Thu 13-Oct-11 19:34:21

the first of those options! join us!

HauntForTheBeast Thu 13-Oct-11 19:51:43

Oooh, I think I will, thank you smile

I am surrounded by apple trees here, so my votes go to

apple butter
classic apple chutney

I have never made chutney, so would be interested in trying that. Will have to leave raisins out of that recipe though, as DH won't be in the same room as one doesn't like them.

ColdSancerre Thu 13-Oct-11 19:52:55

Yes, this is only our second round. Last time we made rustic tomato soup, porotos granados which is a very nice butternut squash dish, pork belly and chorizo stew, apple and almond tart and toffee apple tart. You can make as many or as few as you wish. It's just a nce way of sharing recipes and trying out new stuff.

You're more than welcome to join us everyone is welcome grin

HauntForTheBeast Thu 13-Oct-11 19:56:47

<scurries off to find previous thread>

That sounds fabulous.

I could do with a good tomato soup recipe. We don't do soup very often, but if I'm doing something like plum dumplings (which really is a meal on its own in our house grin ) I feel the need to offer something savoury first and it's usually soup.

I am probably chatting too much, for a voting thread, aren't I?

<newbie nerves>

TobyLeWolef Fri 14-Oct-11 09:56:17

Rhubarb and Ginger jam

Red onion marmalade

ColdSancerre Sun 16-Oct-11 11:36:31

Bump

frenchfancy Sun 16-Oct-11 14:32:31

Apple Butter
Apple Chutney

I can't vote for Rhubarb in October - perhaps we should have a rhubarb thread in March.

IdontknowwhyIcare Sun 16-Oct-11 19:09:25

Apple butter (sounds lovely but what would you use it for?)
Red onion marmalade

Kveta Mon 17-Oct-11 12:29:47

Idontknow - apple butter is basically apple jam. it can be spread on toast, spread over the base of an apple pie before adding the filling to make it extra appley, eaten with meat as a kind of concentrated apple sauce, used in jam tarts (as a bonus, it doesn't bubble up like jam does!), etc etc grin

HauntForTheBeast Mon 17-Oct-11 16:17:12

It's heavenly on pancakes, too.

ColdSancerre Mon 17-Oct-11 21:18:12

OK the two winners are apple butter and red onion marmalade.

Off to add ingredients to my shopping basket.

frenchfancy Wed 19-Oct-11 10:06:31

Ooh I hadn't read the recipe for apple butter before - you don't even have to peel the apples - hooray smile

Kveta Wed 19-Oct-11 10:33:59

yep, you just put them through a sieve after they've softened! it's a bit time consuming, but not as bad as peeling the buggering things! plus it means you get all the pectin from the cores and peels, so don't need special jam sugar, which is a bonus!

I'm not sure if I'll be making the onion marmalade this month - morning sickness has kicked in a wee bit, so for some reason onions are making me gip. I have been given another bag of pears though, so will make pear butter instead of apple butter this time (have lots of apple butter in the cupboards already, so will write a review of making that when we start reviewing the recipes smile)

ColdSancerre Wed 19-Oct-11 19:15:07

I'm going to start the thread for Halloween and bonfire night suggestions now because it's not actually all that far off.

ColdSancerre Wed 19-Oct-11 19:23:40

here

We can just run the suggestions and voting alongside this.

ColdSancerre Wed 19-Oct-11 19:25:09

Back to the recipes, going to try them both over the weekend, but halving the quantities in each as have so many homemade preserves already. Looking forward to trying the onion marmalade as I love that sort of thing.

AlmaMartyr Sun 23-Oct-11 06:49:56

Can I join in? Made the red onion marmalade yesterday (yummy!) and will be making apple butter today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now