Talk

Advanced search

Anyone made magic bread dough from the River Cottage Veg Everyday book?

(8 Posts)
AngelDog Wed 12-Oct-11 22:32:23

Could I make the dough in a breadmaker, do you reckon?

Sorry if that's a daft question - I don't know much about breadmaking.

LittleChiefRunnyCustard Thu 13-Oct-11 11:30:25

I made - it is fairly straight forward and I would expect a breadmaker dough setting would do it fine. The flatbreads were yummy.

fothergill Thu 13-Oct-11 11:53:54

mine is rising now haha! I have made pittas from it before and they actually were like pittas! Incredibly. (not a natural cook). I never used breadmaker but aren't breadmaker recipes tailored and tweaked for the method of cooking in the machine? I make it with the curly dough hooks that come with a hand held whisk, which just takes a couple of minutes then knock it back the second time by hand for a couple of minutes. I can't cook very well but get good results easily if I say so myself.

AngelDog Thu 13-Oct-11 14:37:34

Thanks, it sounds like it might be worth a go.

I'd not thought of dough hooks - I think I have some for my handheld whisk, and my food processor has some too so I might try one of those.

The pittas and flatbreads were what appealed to me - supermarket ones seem to be very full of salt and I worry about giving them to my toddler often. <pfb>

fothergill Fri 14-Oct-11 12:31:07

talking of which, it calls for teaspoon and half of salt. I put one tsp in and they were still quite salty - nice but not healthy. I would put a pinch in next time.

ProfYaffle Fri 14-Oct-11 12:34:56

I considered making it in the breadmaker but wasn't sure if it'd work. I thought the same as fothergill, breadmakers are quite precise and I'm not sure if the quantities/timings/types of flour would work if amended.

I thought it was v easy as it is, flatbread were great and the rolls I made looked very professional.

ProfYaffle Fri 14-Oct-11 12:35:56

grin @ fothergill, I did it the other way round. Put a pinch of salt in and thought it was a bit bland so I'd up it to a tsp next time round!

AngelDog Fri 14-Oct-11 14:18:29

Thanks, that was a good tip about the salt. We don't use salt in cooking at all and I find bakery bread can be too salty so I'll try using less than the recommended amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now