Talk

Advanced search

Butter free, egg free, chocolate free icing

(7 Posts)
DrSeuss Wed 12-Oct-11 20:05:22

Have offered to do cupcakes for a friend's baby's christening. Friend's husband hates butter, so my usual butter icing is no good. Was going to go with chocolate ganache instead but friend only eats chocolate, not chocolate flavoured stuff. Christening will be attended by elderly and children so those fancy ones they have on Cupcake Wars that contain raw egg are out and I wouldn't like to take the responsibility of serving raw egg anyway. Ideally, I'd like it to be pale in colour so that I can dye it purple. Should I just buy the over priced Betty Crocker?

talilac Wed 12-Oct-11 20:06:21

Icing sugar and water? Sets nicely if you don't make it too runny.

DrSeuss Wed 12-Oct-11 20:08:08

Thanks but I really wanted something you can pipe to look pretty. Can you pipe glace icing?

CMOTdibbler Wed 12-Oct-11 20:10:59

Betty Crocker is buttercream made with Trex essentially, so try that. Or make royal icing using the silver spoon packet which has egg white but pasteurised so is safe

pointydog Wed 12-Oct-11 20:22:09

Crocker shit, it is.
I'd just do a thick glace icing and find pretty decorations, of which there are many.

GlaikitFizzogOnaNeepyLantern Wed 12-Oct-11 20:26:55

You can get powdered egg white stuff that I can;t for the life of me remember what it's called. Little sachet you ass water too and whisk until its like egg white. Get that and make royal icing.

Alternatively, marzipan/sugar paste roses to top the cakes???

GlaikitFizzogOnaNeepyLantern Wed 12-Oct-11 20:27:40

Albumen powder, just checked my cupboard! Dr Oetkar (Sp?) makes it. I got it in morrisons!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now