Talk

Advanced search

Informal dinner party ideas - prepare ahead style

(9 Posts)
whostolethesocks Wed 12-Oct-11 16:38:45

Got some friends coming to dinner but as I'm working during the day I want to do something I can prepare ahead and just throw in the oven when they arrive. Needs to be vegetarian or fishy (not shellfish though). One doesn't really like tomatoes. Happy to do some crusty bread/potatoes to accompany and salad or something. I really don't want to do any prep while they're here as I hate cooking in front of people. Also any ideas for a nice easy starter?? (Should I have posted this in food or recipes?) Thanks in advance.

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Wed 12-Oct-11 19:40:58

Hi, how about a vegetable or fish lasagne? Soup? Olives, nice bread etc for starter?

BBC good food website is the best place to find recipes and ideas, so that is always the first place I would look.

Good luck smile

LillianGish Wed 12-Oct-11 19:45:03

Pumpkin soup - can be made ahead and even if frozen followed by vegetarian chilli. I would follow the recipe for Delia's black bean chilli leaving out the meat and adding sweetcorn and mushrooms. You can also make the accompanying salsa ahead, but don't squeeze on the lime juice til the last minute.

chocoBOO Wed 12-Oct-11 19:45:17

Buttrnut squash stew has gone down well here at this time of year. I can dig recipe out if you like - mainly involves squash, peppers I think.

All one pot so you could prep night before and just warm through.

LillianGish Wed 12-Oct-11 19:49:17

Sorry just realised tomatoes are a no no so scrap chilli idea. In that case I'd probably do a couple of veggi curries and serve with naan bread and rice and poppadoms to start. I have a a veggi friend so often do veggi stuff for her - fortunately she is not so inconsiderate as to not eat tomatoes either. There is also a Delia oven bake risotto which is not exactly prepare ahead, but dead easy (could do that with pumpkin soup to start - very autumnal!)

whostolethesocks Wed 12-Oct-11 19:50:11

Thanks DDPW I was thinking about a lasagne actually but wondering about different ideas. Like the idea of olives and bread - nice and simple.
ChocoBoo - yes please would like your stew recipe
Lillian - Will check out Delia's black bean chilli.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

SquigglePigs Thu 13-Oct-11 14:18:47

Burritos are good. You cook the bean chilli ahead of time (and it freezes), then make the burritos up so they are just ready to throw in the oven.

FlubbaBubba Thu 13-Oct-11 14:55:19

Lovely starter suitable for starters;
Prawns & Smoked Salmon;
For 4: 175g prawns, 1 avocado, 1.5 limes, 4tbsp olive oil and mix up together
Serve with smoked salmon
I also serve a good dollop of Crème fraîche with dill, slice of lemon and some 'blinis'

Yum yum and Oh So Simple

FlubbaBubba Thu 13-Oct-11 14:56:22

blush ahem "suitable for starters vegetarians" hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now