Talk

Advanced search

Help - preserved pears jars leaking.

(3 Posts)
Barosinbliss Wed 12-Oct-11 13:02:39

I bought some cheap clip top Kilner type preserving jars from Sainsbury's. On Monday I spent 2 hours with the children making preserved pears for Christmas presents. I sterilised the jars and filled with the pears and spiced, sweetened vinegar while still hot and sealed the jars.
The next day I realised that the jars were not properly sealed and leaked when tipped upside down.
Can I save them? I was thinking of buying better jars and reheating the pears but am worried this isn't safe. Or am I best just leaving them and giving them early to keep in the fridge. The problem is the recipe advises leaving them for 2months before eating. Is this too long if they are not in a vacuum? They are in vinegar after all.
Thanks for any input. confused

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 12-Oct-11 16:32:38

I would think that redoing them in new jars should be OK. If they go off, the worst that can probably happen is that they start fermenting and explode, that is all.....isn't it?

Barosinbliss Thu 13-Oct-11 09:12:56

Thanks. I think hope you're right. In the end I have raided the children's craft box and put an extra ring of craft foam under the original seal. I did reheat and sterilise the bottles and the seals appear to be holding.
The moral is don't go for the cheaper alternatives. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now