Talk

Advanced search

About to try making Houmous

(14 Posts)
TheSkiingGardener Tue 11-Oct-11 19:05:05

Have got all the ingredients arriving shortly. Any tips and how long does the homemade stuff keep for?

LadyGrace Tue 11-Oct-11 19:11:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nightshade Tue 11-Oct-11 19:21:48

a little water also helps if it is too thick. sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top for extra zing.

Flisspaps Tue 11-Oct-11 19:22:32

Agree with LadyGrace - with the quantities of seasoning that you'll find in most recipes, you'll wonder what the hell the brown goo is in the bowl that tastes of mushed nothing.

Popbiscuit Tue 11-Oct-11 19:32:51

Yes to using water if it is too thick (rather than more olive oil). A roasted red pepper is a nice addition too.

Driftwood999 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:25:01

Cummin is a good addition. Store it in several containers if you want to keep it and thatway the surplus will not have been visited ifyswim. Untouched it will keep a good week or more.

jade80 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:26:34

I've tried twice and both times it has been crap! Let me know the recipe if yours works out well!

malinois Tue 11-Oct-11 20:39:11

Don't use canned chickpeas! They have not been cooked for long enough and you will get nasty, gritty hummus. Soak and cook your own chickpeas (much cheaper too!) and reserve the cooking liquid to mix into the hummus to get that really creamy texture. And LOTS of lemon juice.

The lovely Felicity Cloak has it just about spot on here.

It will keep a week or so. Or about 15 minutes if I'm in the vicinity with some carrot sticks and a glass of wine smile

Chestnutx3 Tue 11-Oct-11 21:17:12

Add cumin & nigella lawson's trick of greek yoghurt, lots of lemon

TheSkiingGardener Tue 11-Oct-11 21:50:58

Wow, lots of advice. Thank you. Will go with lots of lemon juice. Don't want to push the salt as part of the reason for making my own is because DS (1) loves it so much. Love red pepper in it or lemon and coriander.

Have ordered the raw chickpeas so will cook and reserve liquid too.

flatbread Wed 12-Oct-11 12:19:21

If you are using canned chickpeas, then first rinse. Then drop the chickpeas into boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes.

AS some other posters mentioned, cumin is a lovely addition. I roast cumin seeds on a pan and then grind them. Nice smokey flavour, as compared to store bought cumin powder.

I don't use a blender for the chickpeas, but use a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. I love the grainy texture

mumzy Wed 12-Oct-11 22:42:26

If you make it using just water to help loosen it up you can freeze it in small containers. Just stir in some olive oil when defrosted before serving. Chili jam or caramelised onions are also good additional flavourings

hisgirlfriday Wed 12-Oct-11 22:54:03

Let us.know how you get on cos I have failed several.times, not perfected it yet as I made tonnes of rubbish hoummus and got fed up of eating all the failures. Agree that you need loads more lemon and oil than any recipe states. I was far more successful with canned chck peas. The soaked ones I simmered for hours and they still didn't blend to creamy, just gritty.

Persephoney Thu 13-Oct-11 11:02:45

I love mine and it's not too oily. I use 1 can of brown chickpeas (kala chana) drained but reserving about 3 tbsps of the canning water and chuck that in a blender with 1 tbsp tahini, 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp lemon juice plenty of pepper, salt, garlic and usually about 2 tsp of harissa. Whizz it up. Try not to eat in one sitting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now