Talk

Advanced search

cream cheese icing - how to get it non-slimy??

(10 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Tue 11-Oct-11 16:38:23

Every time I make cream cheese icing for a carrot cake and follow the instructions (icing sugar, orange juice and philadelphia, basically) it goes slimy and sloppy, and doesn't stay put on the cake. sad I need something that goes on nicely and forms a slight crust after a while. Even when I've added butter to the icing, it's still on the sloppy side. Any tips? (I want to flavour it with lime or orange, so need to add zest and a bit of fresh-squeezed juice.)

planetpotty Tue 11-Oct-11 16:53:04

I would put in less juice and more Philly smile

thisisyesterday Tue 11-Oct-11 16:55:25

less juice, more icing sugar

Popbiscuit Tue 11-Oct-11 16:56:49

This is my favourite cream cheese icing recipe. It's from a very well known bakery in NYC.

-1 lb. cream cheese
-1/2 cup unsalted butter
-1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
-5 cups sieved icing sugar.

Bonsoir Tue 11-Oct-11 16:58:42

Omit the juice. Add orange peel, very finely grated, instead.

ReshapeWhileDamp Tue 11-Oct-11 22:58:10

Aha. I didn't think I'd been using too much juice, but that makes sense. Popbiscuit, I'll give that a go. <boggles at a pound of Philly> Bonsoir, I can see that would give orange flavour without adding moisture, so I'll try that.

Thanks! smile

pointydog Tue 11-Oct-11 23:03:55

I make it with a butter/philly mix and it piped on and stayed in place perfectly.

wildfig Wed 12-Oct-11 15:16:13

Also, you have to use totally full-fat cream cheese. Anything less than that has always gone slimy on me, although that might just be my heavy hand.

piebald Thu 13-Oct-11 10:05:10

I am glad to hear its not just me --my cream cheese icings are aleays an expensive disaster

gastrognome Thu 13-Oct-11 17:10:34

I use the Hummingbird bakery cream cheese frosting recipe (scroll down the article for the frosting recipe) and it's always come out perfectly light and fluffy. One quantity is plenty to cover a normal sized cake. Always get lots of compliments when I make it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now