Talk

Advanced search

NATIONAL CURRY WEEK!!!! Dinner party styleeee ideas please!

(22 Posts)
anonymousbird Mon 10-Oct-11 13:02:08

We adore a curry and have some friends coming over who are also fans.

Seeing as it is National Curry Week, I'd like to do uber tasty, but slightly stylish poncey curry style dinner.. but without it either taking hours on end or destroying the kitchen completely.

Advice please!

smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 10-Oct-11 14:33:06

Advantage of many indian dishes like dahls, is that they can be made in advance and either chilled or frozen until required. Home-made naan is easier than it looks but nicely impressive. Freshly made side-dishes like pickles and raitas are worth the effort for a dinner party. And 'poncey' to me means looking out for regional dishes using slightly unusual ingredients and definitely not on every indian menu. I also think it's worth hunting down authentic fresh herbs rather than anglicising. Maybe check out the Cinammon Club Cookbook for inspiration?

Trills Mon 10-Oct-11 14:35:26

Is it?!

I love curry.

Hopstheduck Mon 10-Oct-11 14:37:13

how about a durban style curried whole chicken, or curried fish? Both look nice as centrepieces. The chicken is dead easy and I serve it with potato basmati and spiced yoghurt.

LowLevelWhingeing Mon 10-Oct-11 14:38:20

What are you looking for?

I can give you a recipe for a simple chicken karahi which is always popular with guests.

Or do you want more fancy?

Madhoor's Gujerati beans are a GORGEOUS side dish:

green beans
garlic
chilli
sugar (pinch)
salt
black mustard seeds.

Cook the green beans until nearly done, then fry them with the rest of the ingredients. YUMMERS.

Hopstheduck Mon 10-Oct-11 14:40:54

oh, I'm making green beans for dinner tonight! Mine are gujarati too, but slightly different. Gujarati food often doesnt have garlic, so mine doesn't have garlic, but has aseofetida and coriander-cumin powder in it too, plus a chopped tomato.

anonymousbird Mon 10-Oct-11 15:13:31

Oh, the gujerati beans are uh-maze-ing, we discovered that recipe earlier this year and it is a joy, so that is definitely on the menu!!!!

I don't really know what I am looking for, just something relatively easy, not too wild and whacky on the spices needed (ie. ones I will use again, if I dont' already have) and that might have a little WOW factor/be a bit different from the run of the mill.

Dahl etc to make ahead of time is also a fab idea.

Curried whole chicken??? Wonderful. I would do fish, but one of the guests is allergic. Hops - I've seen a few references on the internet, but if you have a particular one which is a winner and can share I'd be most grateful. Could kinda do a "roast" dinner, indian style (which I very much like the idea of....)

Thank you all, you have inspired me, but any further thoughts also gratefully received.

Hopstheduck Mon 10-Oct-11 15:38:01

My fav durban chick recipe -

1 chicken
4 tbsp lemin juice
5cm ginger
3 cloves garlic
3 fresh green whole chillis (maybe use two for less spicy)
2 tbsp olive oil,
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander

- blitz all these in a blender to make a paste, rub well over the bird, making slits in the breasts, and thighs to get the flavour right inside. Best done the night before, so has time to marinate, but as little as 30 mins will do.

1/2 tsp chilli powder
freshly ground pepper
sea salt

sprinkle these over the top. Roast until cooked and the skin is crisp, basting with the juices in the bottom of the pan every so often. The juice that comes off is delicious and not to be wasted!

Hopstheduck Mon 10-Oct-11 15:41:25

the spiced yoghurt I serve it with -

bowl of yoghurt, tbsp grated ginger, half tsp cumin powder, pinch of chilli powder, juice of a lemon, salt, and finely chopped coriander.

I don't think it is a dish that would particularly work well with daal tbh, though the green beans would go very well.

RiffRaffeta Mon 10-Oct-11 16:20:28

My Indian friend gave me her Dhal recipe - it has rice in as well as lentils and is divine.DH, a curry snob, says its better than many he's had in restaurants. Can post it if you're interested.

LowLevelWhingeing Mon 10-Oct-11 16:25:05

I'm interested Riff! smile

RiffRaffeta Mon 10-Oct-11 17:28:40

Dhal

2 large onions, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tspn turmeric
1 inch chopped ginger
1 chopped green or red chilli
1/4 pack butter, splash of olive oil
1 mug washed red lentils
salt to taste
1/2 mug soasked basmati rice
2 tbspn split peas
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 heped tspn masala
big bunch fresh coriander
greek yoghurt to serve

Start by soaking lentils, split peas and rice (separately). 10 mins soaking will do, although the longer the soak the less they need cooking.
In a large saucepan, place half the butter and the oil. Add garlic and ginger and gently fry then add oniions, cook until soft. Add chiili cook 1 minute gently. Add turmeric cook 1 minute. Add salt and drained lentils and peas 1minute, keep stirring. Add hot water, enough to cover pulses by 2/3rds. Bring to boil then simmer, cover and cook for 20 mins. Check liquid during this time. Add water as necessary.

Add drained rice, cook 10 more minutes. Check liquid during this time, needs to be thick soup consistency, add liquid as necessary. Stir.

Add tomatoes.

Add rest of butter, cook further 10 minutes then add masala. Check liquid during this time, stir.

Add chopped coriander at end and swirl in a dollop of yoghurt to serve.

If reheating add more water, at least a cup.

Wurg Mon 10-Oct-11 17:40:22

beetroot curry is laaahhvely - looks really impressive as it's such a beautiful colour and tastes amazebags.

anonymousbird Mon 10-Oct-11 18:55:17

OK, seriously salivating now. DH's favourite Indian dish is dahl, he'd gladly eat that and nothing else so I am just going to make that regardless!

But love the sound of all this. thanks very much.

betabaker Mon 10-Oct-11 22:25:47

Don't buy ready-made poppadums, get 'raw' ones from Indian grocer or good deli. You can get mini ones, about 2" across, and deep fry them in an inch of oil, takes 30 seconds. You can also get different flavours - chilli, garlic etc.

Hopstheduck Tue 11-Oct-11 07:49:09

we buy poppadums and cook them over the direct flame of a hob. You have to have asbestos hands, just keep rotating and turning them quickly until they crisp up. Or, you can even microwave them, but they don't taste quite so nice.

Dh is indian, we eat indian at least once a week on average grin

I do like the look of that beetroot curry, will have to give that a go.

flatbread Tue 11-Oct-11 08:14:54

The recipes here sound amazing! Thanks for sharing smile

OP, what about having a French style 5 course Indian meal and do a wine or beer pairing with each course?

I have tasted some Indian wines (Grover and Sula), and thought they were pretty good. Think Waitrose stocks these.

anonymousbird Wed 12-Oct-11 12:55:12

Ok, this is coming together now. Cobra lager is in the order too.

Would Dahl work as a starter with Poppadums and salad and chutneys? Love the sound of it, but agree probably doesn't go so well with the whole roasted chicken, but want to use it somewhere!

And what about pudding???????!!!!!!

anonymousbird Wed 12-Oct-11 13:01:05

PS. Sorry, me again, when we say yogurt for home made dips etc, are we talking natural yogurt or more greek style? Thanks

karmakameleon Wed 12-Oct-11 13:22:52

Personally I wouldn't put the dhal with poppadoms as I don't think it would really go. But then as a Indian I wouldn't have any hesitation in putting everything out together as we don't really do courses and wouldn't see an issue serving chicken with the dhal, especially as the chicken will be dry and you probably need something "wet" to go with it.

I would use natural yogurt for the dips but if you want something thicker nothing wrong with the Greek style. Just personal preference.

For dessert, I think that after a heavy Indian meal, kulfi or ice cream is best or maybe a fruit salad. Most people find shop bought Indian sweets too sweet and I wouldn't want the hassle of making them.

Hopstheduck Wed 12-Oct-11 16:32:32

Shrikhand would make a lovely refreshing dessert too. It's not that difficult to make, you simply hang yoghurt in muslin overnight to strain it, Mix in some ground cardamon and saffron and garnish with Chopped pistachio and almonds. I can eat it til it comes out of my ears! It's also nice served with fruit salad.

I'd eat the chicken with yoghurt and naan, then serve rice and dhal if you want to do multiple courses and dhal. You could also add cumin seeds and a few mustard seeds to the rice as it cooks to make a nice jeera rice.

I think Greek yoghurt is too sweet for chutneys, personally, so would agree with plain.

Hopstheduck Wed 12-Oct-11 16:34:32

Actually if you don't have muslin handy, I'm sure my bil told me once he has even used j cloths to strain it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now