Talk

Advanced search

Moussaka: Potatoes or not?

(12 Posts)
whimsicalname Mon 10-Oct-11 10:55:33

In my imagination, moussaka is a layered dish of aubergine, lamb and potato with white sauce. Having consulted the internet, however, this doesn't seem to be the case. Obviously there is nothing to stop me putting potato in, but do I want to? I thought it would be handy to have some carbs in so I don't have to do anything separately.

Molinko Mon 10-Oct-11 11:01:48

We use potatoes in layers as well as aubergine, I don't think it's that authentic but it makes it a complete meal in one dish which can be handy (minus the saucepan you use to boil the potatoes of course) smile

senua Mon 10-Oct-11 11:07:03

I do a layer of potatoes. I don't like the consistency of aubergines (insides are mushy, skin is leathery) so I don't do layers of them - instead I mush them up into the lamb/tomato combo to get the taste but not the texture.
Also, I don't finish off with white sauce. I do a yogurt/egg/cheese mix.

I think it is like all peasant dishes: everyone has their own variation!

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Mon 10-Oct-11 11:08:48

If you are in Romania there is a potato layer (and no bechamel =white sauce) if you are in Greece there isn't any potatoes but there is bechamel.
May be you have invented something in the middle (or is it the Bulgarian recipe wink )?
I would go with the greek recipe though, it tastes better.

senua Mon 10-Oct-11 11:10:46

I don't boil the potatoes, molinko. I find that they cook perfectly well if they are finely sliced. They need to be waxy ones; floury ones will reduce to mush.

bruffin Mon 10-Oct-11 11:11:55

My dad was from cyprus , however my welsh mum used to make it with potatoes instead of aubergine because for some reason she thought we didn't like it with aubergine.
It is not normal to put potato and aubergine, but there is no reason why you can't do it if you want to.
For the sauce we have always used mix of cream and egg rather than a white sauce.

betabaker Mon 10-Oct-11 22:29:20

Another good but possibly not authentic topping is greek yogurt, with chopped mint, ground cumin and an egg beaten through it, parmesan on top if you like.
It's a really good use of left over cooked potatoes too.

netbook Mon 10-Oct-11 23:15:48

Could one of you post your recipe pls? I like Moussaka but it always looks a faff, the idea of not having to make a sauce sounds great.

metalelephant Mon 10-Oct-11 23:34:01

This is a good recipe for moussaka, the classic greek version.

http://www.organicallycooked.com/2007/09/moussaka.html

In Greece, moussaka is made with beef mince (or beef/pork), never lamb. Though l think it tastes very nice with lamb, that's nor a mince used much in Greece..

Also, traditionally both aubergines and potatoes are used, fried first and then drained on kitchen paper.

The mince sauce is cooked with tomato purée and spices like cinnamon, cloves and cumin. The top is a béchamel mixed with egg and spiced with nutmeg.

metalelephant Mon 10-Oct-11 23:34:38

And of course I forgot to do the link thing

www.organicallycooked.com/2007/09/moussaka.html

metalelephant Mon 10-Oct-11 23:36:24

Bruffin, maye the cypriot version is a bit different to the mainland Greek one, in Greece I've always had it with potatoes but I'd love to read your Cypriot version.

whimsicalname Tue 11-Oct-11 10:26:00

Thanks for all your advice! I read a few recipes for spices etc and then basically winged it. Fried onions / celery / lamb mince with cumin and cinnamon, added left over red wine and tin toms and simmered for a bit.

Fried slices of aubergine in a terrifying amount of oil, microwaved 2 baking potatoes until hot, but not cooked through and sliced.

I layered meat, aub, meat, spuds and topped with a sauce of egg, yoghurt, a bit of creme fraiche that needed eating up and a lump of cheddar that was close to turning into a whole different cheese.

The grown ups and baby enjoyed it (although I think I would sneak more veg into the mince next time as it was very rich - we usually eat tvp mince). The boys (7 and 5) were not convinced, even though I tried to tell them the aubergine was real moose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now