Talk

Advanced search

Dry Cornish pasty please help

(8 Posts)
WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sun 09-Oct-11 16:59:09

Hi I am trying to make Cornish pasties and succeeded, they look great but the filling is really dry. I used uncooked chopped beef, onion, carrot and peas for the filling. Any advice on how to get a nice rich gravey in the filling

Earthymama Sun 09-Oct-11 17:08:34

I'm vegetarian but I'll chip in if you don't mind.

I made lentil and root veg pasties this week. Welsh not Cornish smile
I cooked the lentils in water til they were softened. i use puy or green lentils.
I sauted onions, leeks and garlic until soft and slightly browned.
Then added cubed potatoes, celeriac, swede and carrots, stirred around for a few minutes then covered with salted water and cooked til veg were soft enough for a knife.
Mixed with lentils and added bouillion.

Casting my mind back I would probably have sauted floured meat, added onions etc and cooked in stock, I might even have added a little flour to thicken the gravy.

We had pasty with veg and onion gravy on Wed and then with chips and beans on Thursday.

Lovely grin

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sun 09-Oct-11 19:13:24

Thanks for advice, instinct tells me to cook meat with some stock and flour. Apparently you are meant to put the meat in raw. Think I will ignore this and precook filling.
Tempted to try your veggie ones they sound great.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 10-Oct-11 09:03:51

Traditional Cornish pasties are not gravy-filled. They were designed as a tin miners' self-contained snack and that big crusty edge was a 'handle' for grubby hands, meant to be thrown away, not eaten. It would have been awkward if there was gravy to tackle as well. If you want a more moist filling, use meat with more fat.

sleepevader Mon 10-Oct-11 09:07:16

http://www.thechoughbakery.co.uk/recipes.asp

Don't put gravy in it!!!

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Mon 10-Oct-11 09:08:10

Sorry another one who says no gravy!

sleepevader Mon 10-Oct-11 09:10:46

I'm rubbish at baking so leave the pasty making to my baker friends.

It's skirt beef you need. The fat will make it's own gravy type juices according to that recipe so it's moist but not too moist.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 10-Oct-11 10:07:43

A knob of butter added to the filling also helps...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now