Talk

Advanced search

Pasta tomato sauce too acid-y... help please.

(18 Posts)
Barmix Sat 08-Oct-11 18:12:43

I used to rustle up a great even though I say so myself tomato and garlic sauce for pasta/bruschetta etc. Lately I've been doing something wrong but can't think what and it is too acid-y.

I've added the usual amount of sugar to tonight's batch to no avail. I've also added red wine and parmesan to try and 'soften' the taste (which has probably made it worse).

Any suggestions please on how to tone down or even get rid of the acidy-ness before I'm up all night reaching for the Gaviscon?

TIA

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Sat 08-Oct-11 18:14:42

Have you changed the brand of tinned tomatoes you use?

Beamur Sat 08-Oct-11 18:18:09

Do you put in any carrots? I usually start with a mix of finely chopped onion, carrot and celery for tomato sauce. Adding red peppers would also sweeten it a bit - the ones you can get in jars ready roasted work well in a sauce.

GarrottingItLaldy Sat 08-Oct-11 18:19:41

Try a couple of dollops of tomato ketchup.

Scootergrrrl Sat 08-Oct-11 18:19:44

Add milk or cream and cook it for a while longer.

stripeybump Sat 08-Oct-11 18:20:47

You need decent tomatoes - Napolina are frequently on offer and are buy 4 get 4 free atm in Teso.

Or overcooking the garlic can make it a bit yukky?

seeker Sat 08-Oct-11 18:20:53

Squirt of tomato ketchup. Works wonders.

You could also chucknin some mqrscapone to makenit intona cream sauce.

Barmix Sat 08-Oct-11 18:27:53

It's the damn tomatoes... changed from Napolina to Tesco's own because it worked out cheaper. There's a lesson in life for me smile.

<heads off to add milk, peppers and a squirt of ketchup into sauce>

thunderboltsandlightning Sat 08-Oct-11 18:32:02

Lump of butter makes it taste delicious.

TheLaminator Sat 08-Oct-11 18:32:58

milk, or condenced milk.
oops, your already off, good luck smile

jjazz Sat 08-Oct-11 21:07:48

a tea spoon or two of demerara sugar works a treat.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 09-Oct-11 07:48:04

Think you've nailed it with the cheaper toms. There's a reason why some brands are cheaper than others and, when it comes to things like tomatoes or orange juice, it's the sugar/acid ratio of the raw material. I'd actually complain to Tesco...

DaydreamDolly Sun 09-Oct-11 07:56:30

I always add a tsp of sugar per tin of toms used. Tip given to me by an Italian friend.

mousymouse Sun 09-Oct-11 08:10:28

you can also add a dash of balsamic vinegar to reduce right down after sweating the onions and carots a bit. makes it sweet and delicious.
second the toms, napolitana seem to be the best, have tried to use others but they are just not right.

Bonsoir Sun 09-Oct-11 08:12:47

I always make my own tomato sauce and bitter experience has taught me to use very expensive tinned tomatoes!

Rikalaily Sun 09-Oct-11 08:24:22

Butternut squash takes alot of the acidity out of tomato sauces and you can squash it up so it's not noticed, also a tin of tuna, that is almost un-noticable too when cooked in.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Sun 09-Oct-11 08:25:21

Cheaper ones need a good hard boil to release the natural sweetness.

seeker Sun 09-Oct-11 08:29:44

Honestly,tomato ketchup.

Or smug Aga owner here) just cook the sauce very slowly all day. Of course, if you don't have an Aga that sort of defeats the object of buying cheaper tomatoes............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now