Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas on a quick and tasty dessert?

(13 Posts)
MamaMary Fri 07-Oct-11 14:28:06

Help - I have been asked to make a dessert for a buffet type supper. Pavlova and Banoffie Pie are already being made. I need to do something else easy (as I'm crap at desserts).

anthonytrollopesrevenge Fri 07-Oct-11 21:31:06

Fruit salad is easy and tasty. With a jug of cream.

Plate of small cakes, easy to eat at a buffet and can be made (or bought) in advance. Little carrot cakes perhaps.

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 07-Oct-11 21:31:56

trifle?

TheSkiingGardener Fri 07-Oct-11 21:35:22

Johnny Depp covered in whipped cream. Quick and simple if you can persuade him to turn up.

Alternatively, a cheeseboard is always good, and will contrast well with the above, or something like rocky road bars or fridge cake to provide chocolate?

itchywitch Sat 08-Oct-11 02:02:31

A slice is quick and easy. My favourite is made with crushed Marie biscuits, chopped up peppermint crisp (or liquorice all-sorts, m&ms or any kind of lolly or chocolate really) and condensed milk. Mix together, top with melted chocolate and pop into the fridge. Is very yummy.

chocolaterainbow Sat 08-Oct-11 02:09:35

This one takes 5 mins - digestive biscuits mashed up in the bottom of a tray type thing, then mix some cream cheese (1 avg pot), whipped double cream (the pint-ish sized ones) and sugar (as much as you want, don't go overboard, I'd say 5 tablespoons max) with some roughly chopped fruit (strawberries are best), pour over buiscit base, viola, one cheesecake-type thingy. It's lush. (Don't tell anyone how you made it 'cause it's a SECRET!)

CheerfulYank Sat 08-Oct-11 02:15:53

Mocha Pound Cake

magpieC Sat 08-Oct-11 05:21:51

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pinacoladatrifle_88603 is good - ignore the custard making section and just use a tub of the ready made stuff.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Sat 08-Oct-11 05:26:39

M&s catering wink

clarabella18 Sun 09-Oct-11 19:10:07

Eton mess!
Prepare your strawberries and cream mixture and take sling the merengue and crumble in at the last minute before serving.
Quick, delicious and easy! And you don't have to worry about presentation! wink

theoldtrout01876 Mon 10-Oct-11 01:25:32

Pumpkin pie ,doesnt come much easier than this

a pie pumpkin ( you can use different types of pumpkin or even a butternut squash)
1 cup sugar (metric: 200 grams)
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon (metric: 3.8 grams)
1 teaspoon ground cloves (metric: 2 grams)
1 teaspoon ground allspice (metric: 2 grams)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (metric: 1.25 grams)
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional) (metric: 20 grams)
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional, I don't use any)
4 large eggs
3 cups pumpkin glop (ok... "sieved, cooked pumpkin") (metric: 0.7 litre)
1.5 cans (12oz each) of evaporated milk

Steam the pumpkin till soft then remove the skin. Mix everything in a bowl using a hand blender Pour into pie crust (Use a ready made pie crust)
Bake at 350 F till toothpick comes out clean, 35-40 mins

Ta Da really really good pumpkin pie grin

MamaMary Mon 10-Oct-11 20:09:50

Thanks all for the ideas - I like the sound of the easy cheesecake one (cos I really am rubbish at desserts). The pumpkin pie sounds delicious too, but pies scare me - baking them that is, not eating them grin

livlov Mon 10-Oct-11 20:58:47

Banana splits! obviously bananas, along with cream or ice cream and add a few sweets instaed of nuts..... keeps the parents happy because there's fruit involved and the kids love them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now