Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Low Fat Diet for Gallstones

(5 Posts)
Fuzzled Fri 07-Oct-11 13:57:17

I've been told to follow a low fat diet by the hospital after a ten day stay and and ERCP for gallstones (which I don't recommend having!)

They gave me a nice sheet which tells me what I shouldn't eat and what I can (goodbye chocolate, my old friend sad ), but as a bit of a perfectionist, I'm a bit bemused as to what amount of fat I should be eating.

I know the RDA is something like 70g, so would you say a diet of about 30g (which I think I can achieve more or less!) would be reasonable?

Does anyone have the answer - and a few ideas for low fat meals?!

maybeyoushoulddrive Fri 07-Oct-11 14:21:39

Erm I think I ate anything that had 3% or less fat in it. Marshmallows are my friendsmile My mum had an ERCP - not pleasant - my sympathies.

I ate a normal diet but looked for the lower fat versions eg pork chops I went for the extra lean cut, extra lean mince etc etc. Crumpets are low fat, malt loaf (I've got a very sweet tooth, the lack of cake was hard) bread and jam, no butter.

Recipes - I bought the weight watchers pure points cookbook. Their fish and chips work well.

Good luck!

fatlazymummy Fri 07-Oct-11 17:33:50

The old Rosemary Conley diet is good for relieving gallstones, as she had them herself. So no butter, no added fat, low fat versions of everything. I use a spray oil for cooking in a nonstick frying pan. Plenty of fruit and vegetables to fill up on. If you want cake you could try a sponge recipe [eggs, sugar and flour].

LowLevelWhingeing Fri 07-Oct-11 18:10:43

Yes, Rosemary Conley (used to, at least) say anything with 4% fat (or 4g per 100g) was OK as part of a low fat diet.

Mind you don't OD on sugar though as it is 'low fat'!

WhatsWrongWithYou Fri 07-Oct-11 18:26:06

Slimming World recipes are also good for low fat tasty meals. I actually find stress is what triggers mine, although I haven't had an attack for about 2 years now so something must be going right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now