Talk

Advanced search

Pilchards and sardines

(14 Posts)
babycham42 Thu 06-Oct-11 16:28:20

Is there actually a difference? Which do you get? In tomato sauce or other? And what do You do with them?
(looking to expand repertoire of pilchards in tomato on toast....)

ChrissasMissis Thu 06-Oct-11 19:56:17

I'm not keen on all the bones in sardines, so I buy the tins of boneless fillets and mash them up a bit with a fork. I fry off a generous handful of breadcrumbs in the oil from the tin with a little minced garlic and some chilli flakes, then mix with the fish and serve over spaghetti with a little lemon juice and a big handful of chopped parsley. Yum!

babycham42 Fri 07-Oct-11 19:44:12

ChrissasMissis that sounds utterly delicious! Thanks I will try that!

MadameCastafiore Fri 07-Oct-11 19:46:02

Pilcahrds on toast - yummy yummy - may have to buy some tomorrow haven't had them for years.

babycham42 Fri 07-Oct-11 19:49:40

They"re really good for you because of the Omega 3 (or something).

I can also stretch to pilchards and salad in my repertoireblush

UptoapointLordCopper Fri 07-Oct-11 21:15:36

I love bones in sardines. Used to open up the fish and eat the bones only. blush

We used to have sardines in tomato sauce with fried onions. Or with raw onions and chillies. And sardine sandwiches.

babycham42 Fri 07-Oct-11 21:27:33

I agree - the bones are yummy!

VoldemortsNipple Fri 07-Oct-11 21:59:18

Mackerel mixed with soft cheese, a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of pepper.

Delicious with crisp bread, and not as smelly as pilchards.

babycham42 Fri 07-Oct-11 22:07:59

VoldemortsNipple do you actually like mash it all together?That sounds interesting - kind of pate-ish and quite healthy I"d imagine if using low fat soft cheese. Is the cheeses to give it the consistency or can you taste it?

VoldemortsNipple Sat 08-Oct-11 08:02:27

It is like a pate. I use a hand blender to get it really smooth, but you can just mash it really well.

The cheese is just for consistency. You can't taste it at all. The recipe I had actually said to use cottage cheese but I prefare it with soft cheese.

I work in a nursery and make this for snack time. The children love it, and the staff prefare it because it doesn't smell as much as pilchards.

babycham42 Sat 08-Oct-11 12:48:07

Thanks VoldemortsNipple.I am definately definately going to try that as that really has got my mouth watering!

VoldemortsNipple Sat 08-Oct-11 13:47:43

You're welcome

GeorgeEliot Sat 08-Oct-11 17:25:50

Pilchards and sardines are the same thing.

babycham42 Sat 08-Oct-11 18:03:28

Thanks George.I have suspected as much for a long time.... Why not just call them sarchards or pildines????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now