Talk

Advanced search

Recycling frozen xmas pudding Anyone done it?

(13 Posts)
ppeatfruit Thu 06-Oct-11 10:12:51

I know this sounds odd but i've got three quarters of a homemade large pud in the freezer and 'cos none of us eat more than a bit at christmas dinner (it gives me belly ache anyway). i thought if i defrosted it now, added a couple of eggs and a slosh more booze and resteamed for a bit less time, it 'd pass for this xmas.

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 06-Oct-11 10:19:58

Why bother with adding eggs and booze....Ok, why bother with the eggs? It should be perfectly OK just de-frosted and whipped through the microwave (just make sure you don't have any sixpences left in it.

ppeatfruit Thu 06-Oct-11 10:40:27

Cos' it is in the three quarter shape and i don't want anyone to know!! so I'd need to reshape it. I never microwave it, it can explode!!

whimsicalname Thu 06-Oct-11 14:52:42

You could chop it up and mix it into ice cream, either home made or decent vanilla with a slosh of brandy. Then mould it in a pudding bowl. We did this a few years ago for a Christmas dinner party (as opposed to the actual day). It was YUM.

ppeatfruit Fri 07-Oct-11 09:24:34

That does sound nice whimsical but as I want it for THE day and i like to set fire to it (you know the traditional brandy etc.) it might end up in a puddle! smile

LowLevelWhingeing Fri 07-Oct-11 10:53:51

I'd worry about the number of times it had been heated/cooled/ heated etc wrt food poisoning potential. But then, maybe I'm paranoid.

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 07-Oct-11 11:40:17

LLW, I think you ARE being paranoid.

starfishmummy Fri 07-Oct-11 11:46:59

I wouldn't put the eggs in it, just reheat and serve it in slices - you can still set fire to those.

headfairy Fri 07-Oct-11 11:50:17

You can still set fire to icecream... it's the booze that burns rather than the pud, so the same still applies if you have Christmas pudding icecream.

We did it one year and it was fab. Don't add too much booze to the ice cream though or it'll never freeze solidly. Maybe a shot glass full, but no more. crumble up the (still slightly frozen) pud and add it to the ice cream. Put in to a bowl (we used a round one so that when turned out it was the right Christmas pudding shape) and freeze. On Christmas day, when you turn it out on to a plate, pour warm brandy over the top and set fire to it immediately. The brandy will burn off. The ice cream will soften sufficiently to eat it. In Italy it's called Semi Freddo (half frozen) and it's utterly delicious!

ppeatfruit Fri 07-Oct-11 12:52:37

Mmmmnn sounds good headfairy We LOVE semi freddo!! thanks. Yeah low level There's enough booze in my pudding, i soak the fruit in left over brandy etc for a month before cooking it, grin and long enough steaming (except of course if it's ice ceam!!) To not worry about food poisoning (alcohol poisoning yes!!) but not food poisoning!!

LowLevelWhingeing Fri 07-Oct-11 17:17:30

sits in bacteria-proof sealed room

TheSkiingGardener Fri 07-Oct-11 21:37:27

Someone does a recipe where you put christmas pudding into filo pastry and then wrap it up like a cracker. 'tis very good but a lot of faff

ppeatfruit Sat 08-Oct-11 07:39:38

Thanks theskiing it does sound too fussy for me though, also setting fire to filo pastry and crackers shock I don't think so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now