Talk

Advanced search

diabetic cake ideas and tips

(4 Posts)
muslimah28 Thu 06-Oct-11 10:09:13

hi

FIL was recently diagnosed as type 2 diabetic and like me he always had a real sweet tooth so i feel his pain! can anyone recommend some good diabetic cakes that are not 'boring', still feel like a treat? or a good book?

many thanks smile

muslimah28 Fri 07-Oct-11 09:18:02

anyone? good links will help just as much, i just want a tried and tested recommendation smile

pollywaffleallday Fri 14-Oct-11 10:06:55

My dad is type 2 diabetic - we have had some success using a normal Victoria sponge mixture but substituting xylitol sweetener (available in health food shops) instead of sugar, flavouring with orange zest. Sandwich with whipped elm lea flavoured with orange zest and fresh rasps.
You can also use agave syrup instead of sweetener.
Both sweeteners are low GI - I keep meaning to try more recipes but time runs out....

muslimah28 Mon 17-Oct-11 19:37:01

thank you so much polly i managed to pick up some xylitol and made this, i did put in some home made vanilla syrup which had sugar in it but dh said one teaspoonful in the whole cake wouldn't mean much sugar per slice so that was ok, and then we did the whipped cream and raspberries as you suggested and it went down AMAZINGLY!!! thanks for the idea! am going to experiment with other recipes now and also experiment with hermesetas which i picked up some of which said it was suitable for baking because the xylitol was quite expensive, but if that doesn't work then we'll just fork out every now and then for a treat!

thank you you made my FIL's day!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now