Talk

Advanced search

HELP - What weight of potatoes to make mash for 80????

(9 Posts)
HerecometheBelgians Wed 05-Oct-11 18:23:45

Hi

PLEASE help, I'm in charge of the catering for a Harvest Supper on Saturday and am doing sausage and mash for 80 people. Sausages are fine, but how many kg of potatoes will I need for 80 people. I'm absolutely flummoxed.

At the moment I'm thinking 8 x 6kg bags of washed white potatoes. Does that sound about right?

TIA

Belgians confused

Hulababy Wed 05-Oct-11 18:29:16

Did a quick google which suggested:

one-third to one-half pound of raw potatoes will generate enough mashed potato for one person.

So max would be half pound of potatoes per person - so 40lbs.

Conversion is just over 18kgs

You have allowed for 48kgs which seems a lot more!

Hulababy Wed 05-Oct-11 18:31:00

I am really bad at fearing the worst though so would prob make more than the 18kgs worth!

HerecometheBelgians Wed 05-Oct-11 18:33:19

Blimey o'reilly, we'll be awash in mash! Bearing in mind there will be some children there as well as hungry teenagers I reckon 24kg of potatoes and we can always make something with the leftovers.

Thank you so much!

Could have just googled myself, couldn't I?

Lu blush

PonceyMcPonce Wed 05-Oct-11 18:33:35

pots need to be peeled, so will lose some that way, there might be yucky bits so will trim, everyone is greedy, so you will need tons - plus it freezes!

HerecometheBelgians Wed 05-Oct-11 18:44:01

OK, 30kg it is! wink

BertieBotts Wed 05-Oct-11 18:57:18

I would just work out how many potatoes you normally use per person, weigh them, then x by 80 and add a bit for good luck!

Hulababy Wed 05-Oct-11 19:37:17

Those weights apparently take into account for peeling them.
Mind you, i don't bother peeling generally anyway.

vixsatis Thu 06-Oct-11 08:32:25

No need to peel if you use pre-washed potatoes (eg any supermarket ones) and mash using a potato ricer. This will save you hours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now