Talk

Advanced search

Sausage rolls - a stupid question

(10 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Wed 05-Oct-11 10:08:44

Do I put raw sossiges in pastry and cook the lot together, or cook the sossiges forst and then wrap in pastry and re-cook? Or do I par-cook them? shock

SexyDomesticatedDab Wed 05-Oct-11 10:16:46

Are you from Brisol??

Raw sausage or just the rolled up meat and then cook.

allhailtheaubergine Wed 05-Oct-11 10:23:32

No, not from Brizzle.

Raw it pastry it is then. And they'll definitely cook through before the pastry burns?

SexyDomesticatedDab Wed 05-Oct-11 10:30:29

example of Jamie O recipe

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 05-Oct-11 13:53:31

I don't use sausages, but buy sausage meat, mix it with some herbs (nothing to stop you skinning sausages and mashing them up) and fried chopped up onion, which I then heat to loosen the fat and make it easier to mould into a long sausage shape. I find it easier to make a sausage roll about 12" long and then cut before cooking. I suppose I would have fried the sausage meat for three or four minutes, so par-cooked, but par-cooked the whole way through.

KnitterNotTwitter Wed 05-Oct-11 13:56:37

Definitely don't use sausages - you'll end up with some weird sausage in pastry effect, not sausage rollls. My MIL did it recently and it was vile!

ragged Wed 05-Oct-11 14:00:23

Yes it definitely cooks fine from raw, we make pinwheels a lot. No problem.

bunjies Wed 05-Oct-11 14:41:03

I use chipolatas and then remove the skin. Pop them raw on ready rolled puff pastry and roll up. Cut into whatever size you want, brush with beaten egg and in the oven for 20 mins. Delicious, hassle free home made sausage rolls. The dcs can't get enough of them and they're fab as an alternative packed lunch.

allhailtheaubergine Wed 05-Oct-11 14:48:03

Oh.

Have come back to the thread too late.

Am now in proud possession of 20 weird sausages in pastry. Oh well, the kids will like them.

KnitterNotTwitter Wed 05-Oct-11 21:12:10

sorry... either which way i'm sure they'll be better than the MIL's - she's a woman who has just put the sprouts on to cook for Christmas...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now