Talk

Advanced search

Cake disaster

(10 Posts)
ChinaInYourHands Tue 04-Oct-11 13:45:00

I can't bake to save my life but I thought I'd be safe trying a recipe for a chocolate cake that is called Easy Chocolate Cake: www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easy_chocolate_cake_31070
I have followed the instructions exactly (okay except I have not split the mixture into 2 tins, it's all in one tin). So why is it that after 40 minutes in the oven one half of the cake mixture has fallen on the bottom of the oven and the other half is still in the tin but completely liquid??

StrangewaysHereICome Tue 04-Oct-11 14:15:39

Is your oven hot enough? Don't keep opening the oven door for a peek! How runny was the mixture before going in the oven? It should just drop off a spoon in a blob. It shouldn't be runny enough to leak out of the tin. Also it will take longer to cook in one tin than if split in two. I have had many cake disasters over the years, don't despair! I can muster up a half decent cake now but am no expert! I feel your pain sad

ChinaInYourHands Tue 04-Oct-11 14:27:25

I'm just embarrased at my 3 yr old dd's disappointed face...sad

StrangewaysHereICome Tue 04-Oct-11 18:05:40

Aw, why not rustle up some cornflakes cakes with smarties on the top, that'll cheer her up wink

ginmakesitallok Tue 04-Oct-11 18:08:34

your tin's not big enough??

MaureenMLove Tue 04-Oct-11 18:14:54

How big was the tin you used

purplepidjinawoollytangle Tue 04-Oct-11 18:19:49

2oz butter
1oz sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp cocoa powder OR 2 oz chocolate

Melt it all gently in a saucepan. Shake in 4oz cornflakes/rice crisipes. Dollop into cake cases and refrigerate

or eat it straight out of the pan like Piggy Pidj

ChinaInYourHands Tue 04-Oct-11 19:24:11

I don't know how big the tin was, it's like a loaf size. I would have thought big enough... I wonder if I even have the skills to get it right with the cornflakes cakes!!!!

MaureenMLove Tue 04-Oct-11 19:49:28

I think that was your problem then. A loaf tin was the wrong shape to cook that amount of mixture properly.

Don't be disheartened, have another go, another day, but get the right sized tin! It may be the only thing that you didn't follow in the recipe, but it's one of the most important. It's a science thing! winkgrin

ChinaInYourHands Tue 04-Oct-11 20:22:04

Ah science... that explains it all!! wink
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I'll impress my DD one day...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now