Talk

Advanced search

Help me use up my veg

(11 Posts)
StickThemWithThePointyEnd Tue 04-Oct-11 11:50:18

I have a load of organic veg left over from last week's box that I need to use before my next box is delivered tonight.
I have 5 courgettes, 4 turnips, about 2-3lbs of carrots, a lb of green beans, 6 garlic bulbs, lots of potatoes and 4 beetroots.
can I make some sort of huge casserole with all of this? I have plenty of pork and lamb in the freezer.
or cakes? or anything else?
bit at a loss here.

Paschaelina Tue 04-Oct-11 11:52:25

Carrot cake.

Soup.

Erm... <brain failure, gives up>

20wkbaby Tue 04-Oct-11 11:53:43

Soup. Can be frozen too. Yum.

Or courgettes and carrots can be stir fried or added to pasta.

AlmaMartyr Tue 04-Oct-11 11:55:53

BBCGoodFood have a yummy recipe for chocolaate courgette cake and also for courgette griddle cakes (savoury) which are delicious. You could roast beetroot and leave it in the fridge to nibble on or make it into brownies and freeze them?

StickThemWithThePointyEnd Tue 04-Oct-11 11:59:29

ohh beetroot brownies and courgette griddle cakes sound amazing. carrot cake would be good, too, but I have WAY too many carrots to use up with that. carrot and potato soup, with turnips in? beans with the griddle cakes and pork chops for dinner?

startail Tue 04-Oct-11 12:10:17

Turn carrots into very basic soap, freeze in batches.
Thaw and add, butter beans, lentils and bacon or next weeks spare veg. That way you save freezer space and don't get fed up of one kind of soup.
(DD1 made gallons of leek and potato and by the third day...)

OTheHugeWerewolef Tue 04-Oct-11 12:16:08

Use some of the carrots with the turnip and a bit of potato for a lamb casserole with red wine and smoked paprika, maybe some tinned tomatoes if you have them. I find this freezes really well too. Serve with green beans.

When I have leftover beetroot I often just boil them, skin on, and then keep in the fridge to eat cold in salads. When they're cooked it's easy to slip the skin off, and they go wonderfully with goats' cheese and a bit of lettuce, or dressed with a bit of salt, vinegar and olive oil.

startail Tue 04-Oct-11 12:17:07

My Vegi MIL made lovely courgette fritters.
I tend to roast spare courgettes with any peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms that are lurking in the fridge. Then for the next couple of days there is effort free interesting veg to go with dinner and I don't have to worry about keeping it out of DD2s portion.

ClartyScutter Tue 04-Oct-11 12:18:46

have you logged into Riverford site, OP?

they have hundreds of recipes, with meat and without

smile

StickThemWithThePointyEnd Tue 04-Oct-11 12:30:38

never heard of riverford, will have a google.
thank you for the tip with the beetroot, do I just chuck it in a saucepan of boiling water?
the casserole sounds good, too. wonder if it would work in the slow cooker..

OTheHugeWerewolef Tue 04-Oct-11 13:17:51

Yes, just chuck it in a pan of boiling water. Give them a bit of a scrub to get any dirt off, but don't cut the top or tail off as that'll encourage them to 'bleed' into the pan and lose flavour. They should be easy to pierce with a sharp knife when they're done, and once they're cool you can just slip the skin off under running water and use them in salads.

You can also make a variation of pommes dauphinoise with beetroot and goats cheese + a bit of sour cream [yum]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now