Talk

Advanced search

Autumnal birthday cake from Nigella's Domestic Goddess - worth doing?

(12 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Tue 04-Oct-11 06:35:25

Her recipes are so hit and miss I thought I'd see if anyone had given it a go with any success? I am making a birthday cake for a friend.

allhailtheaubergine Tue 04-Oct-11 08:49:59

Anyone smile

LittleChiefRunnyCustard Tue 04-Oct-11 09:27:18

I have made this one - it worked and was yummy but the price of maple syrup at the moment puts me off making it again.

allhailtheaubergine Tue 04-Oct-11 12:10:08

Funnily enough I bought Maple Syrup earlier and was floored by the price. I had assumed it was because I live abroad and it was imported. Hadn't realised it was a worldwide thing atm.

SexyDomesticatedDab Tue 04-Oct-11 12:30:32

Unless you live in Canada everywhere else must import it!

allhailtheaubergine Tue 04-Oct-11 12:38:07

grin

I thought that as soon as I pressed post.

I suppose I meant that as we live in the arse end of nowhere a lot of normally cheap things are prohibitively expensive and I thought it was just another of those.

SexyDomesticatedDab Tue 04-Oct-11 12:56:47

Its one cake from HTBADG not made - probably can't justify the expense - have some friends who have now emigrated to Canada.

LittleChiefRunnyCustard Wed 05-Oct-11 15:01:38

I have just remembered that last time I made this I ran out of maple syrup and used half maple and half golden in the icing - it worked fine and still tasted of maple.

allhailtheaubergine Wed 05-Oct-11 18:07:24

Bloody Nigella.

A tenner of maple syrup and three eggs and the bloody thing's curdled. I did exactly what she said. Bloody woman. No choice but to push on. This is a birthday cake for masses of people - it had better turn out okay!

angry

allhailtheaubergine Fri 07-Oct-11 14:55:13

Verdict: Not impressed at all.

Very expensive. Very dry, unimpressive cake. Nice enough flavour, but meh - that's because maple syrup tastes nice. Definitely won't be making it again. Very disappointing. Icing was very nice though.

I hereby renounce Nigella. That was one rubbish recipe too far. For Christmas I would like a lovely Mary Berry book please. Or maybe The Hummingbird Bakery book.

lucysmum Fri 07-Oct-11 14:59:47

FWIW I don't think the Hummingbird receipes work brilliantly, but I keep the book just for the icing recipe ! Mary Berry bound to be good !

Next time, make the Guinness cake - dead easy (essentially stir together wet ingredients then add the dry - none of that "cream butter and sugar" nonsense that leaves me cold) and it is spectacular when complete. The icing is to die for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now