Talk

Advanced search

Making a birthday cake for a grown up. Anyone have a fabulous recipe to suggest? Or any ideas about decorating it?

(3 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Mon 03-Oct-11 16:07:29

It's such a long time since I last baked a cake that didn't have to be either pink or "tokkit" or cater for allergies.

Now I get to make an awesome proper grown up birthday cake. What shall I make?!

As for icing - I've done a bit of icing and I have all the kit. Can't do fondant, only piped icing. Any lovely, simple designs you like?

peaky123 Wed 05-Oct-11 07:39:18

3 layers always looks impressive, and the hummingbird bakery carrot cake and hummingbird cake and both very good, and iced with a cream cheese icing which you could pipe on top. Would look fab, are easy, and most importantly, they taste amazing! Have made them for lots of birthdays etc, and they always dissapeaer

Taffeta Wed 05-Oct-11 10:18:43

I made this recently ( in fact have made it a few times ). The flavour is amazing, very grown up and I glitzed it up a bit by toasting some fresh coconut and dipping it in sugar syrup and adding it to the topping as well as candied lime zest.

I've often wanted to make this one

Or this one is very Autumn-y

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now