Talk

Advanced search

Olives???

(7 Posts)
rshipstuff Mon 03-Oct-11 13:24:34

I am making Guinea Fowl tagine with preserved lemons, last time I cooked it I put in half a jar of olives, only thing is none of us like olives (we like olive oil though), and we didn't eat them.

Flavour of the tagine was very nice, but just wondering if the olives are helping the flavour or if it's better to leave them out???

EggyMcEggMcSandwich Mon 03-Oct-11 13:26:51

Sounds delicious, leave the olives out. They won't bring much benefit to those who don't like them and the preserved lemons will add plenty of flavour.

witchwithallthetrimmings Mon 03-Oct-11 13:32:27

will need more salt (or perhaps stronger stock) though

rshipstuff Mon 03-Oct-11 13:36:07

I should add that there's still half a jar of the olives in the fridge.

Was very tasty before, used it to christen my new claypot, damn thing took about four hours to cook though, not sure if it wasn't hot enough or because it needed to get hot in the oven rather than on the hob, maybe I will use the Le Creuset this time, much quicker.

Will get some giant couscous to go with it.

SunshineJen Mon 03-Oct-11 16:29:49

I think that the dish would miss the olives. Why not tie the olives in a bit of muslin so that you can fish them out easily before serving? That or you could always whizz the olives in a blender with a bit of olive oil or the stock and then add to the dish before cooking. You should get all the flavour mixed into the tagine without having to bite into the olive itself

betabaker Mon 03-Oct-11 18:22:47

Or chop them up really small. Sounds great - where do you get your giant couscous?

rshipstuff Mon 03-Oct-11 20:16:32

I bought the giant couscous in Waitrose, though they sell it in Sainsburys too. http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Rice_Pulses_And_Grain/Merchant_Gourmet_Giant_Couscous_300g.html Goes nicely with some roasted tomatoes, coriander, aubergine and garlic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now