Talk

Advanced search

Hospital bag food that keeps?

(24 Posts)
SaffronCake Sun 02-Oct-11 22:46:05

DP, as great as he is, has an irritating habit of putting his stomach first in an emergency.

I'm going to have our second child together in a couple of weeks or so and I want to avoid the absurd situation of him pulling over for petrol station sandwiches on the way there, like he did last time, and at every false alarm last time too.

We're not going to Ethiopia and it's kind of time sensitive, y'know!

To appease him and his great fear that he might have to actually wait till morning for a sandwich I have decided this year that he can have his own hospital bag, with food and drink ready packed. Problem solved.

I wont get away with fobbing him off with a packet of Tracker bars, he will stop at the bloody Shell garage again. So what else keeps for a while and can be packed up now and eaten without access to a kitchen? The heartier the better.

Northernlurker Sun 02-Oct-11 22:48:14

Some nice rolls in the freezer (will take 30 second to defrost) and a shed load of salami ready to go in same?

BlueChampagne Tue 04-Oct-11 13:43:06

Will he eat baked beans etc cold from the tin?
Crisps
fruit loaf
AND tracker bars!

SaffronCake Tue 04-Oct-11 18:57:55

He probably would eat cold beans from a tin shudder. For this reason I wont mention it to him... Custard I could just about tollerate watching, there are probably more things, thank you for the idea.

Fruit loaf is pure genius, as are frozen rolls (ham and cheese freeze, he could make them up before freezing).

SaffronCake Tue 04-Oct-11 18:58:28

I didn't mean to bold that, sorry.

Pancakeflipper Tue 04-Oct-11 19:02:56

I have had a few hospital stays with my youngest and after the first few I used to have a tupperware with food in for me in the cupboard at home. A carton of drink, raisins, ritz crackers ( yes even those with the horrible artifical cheese sarnie ones - I know grim but handy), chocolate biscuit. Then I would grab some apples, bananas etc if time. It kept me going.

BlingLoving Tue 04-Oct-11 19:03:52

Dried fruit and nuts are good.

We took pasta salad but Made it on morning as I was induced but not practical ahead of time.

Keep plenty of fruit available to grab and go. Ditto cheese like babybels which last ages out of fridge. Also avocado is good if you have one ripe and ready when you leave. then prepack decent cheese biscuits/snack bread.

Second the fruit cake suggestions - we lived on fruit cake cookies after ds was born.

Good luck. Dh was very worried about food ahead of time grin. Apparently ge nipped off to his bag regularly for sustenance. I missed it.

ja9 Tue 04-Oct-11 19:04:12

Bags of brioche keep for a couple of weeks..

ChunkyPickle Tue 04-Oct-11 19:15:41

I hesitate to mention it, but how about potnoodle/other pot food? There's normally a kettle somewhere isn't there?

Mid-induction my DP said he was going out for KFC (he was starving, since he stayed with me, but was obviously unfed for over a day at this point). I burst into tears at the thought of him leaving me and the dear thing stayed.

champagnesupernova Tue 04-Oct-11 19:30:36

Cereal bars
Good for late night b/f emergencies afterwards

sleepevader Tue 04-Oct-11 22:32:16

We are doing the sane but lack inspiration.

Tuc biscuits is all that's in bag so far!

Ps slight hijack. What did you ever do about car seat OP?

babycham42 Tue 04-Oct-11 22:38:52

How about a whole pack of Cheddars? No one can resist a whole pack.It"s not going to hurt if it"s not healthy as I suspect he needs to be kept full so he can concentrate on you and not his belly! And dry roasted peanuts or pistachios to keep him occupied in the boring bits.Oatcakes(the cheesy ones are nice).Midget gems.Cheese straws......

deemented Tue 04-Oct-11 22:43:32

Kellogs Nutrigrain bars. Absolute heaven after having baby too, when you're starving.

SaffronCake Wed 05-Oct-11 11:31:05

Aww ChunkyPickle threatening to head out to KFC would be beyond awful. Mine joked about it, but wouldn't have dared be caught looking like he meant it.

sleepevader I'll PM you about that carseat, thanks for reminding me.

Thanks everyone for the help, the list so far goes...

- Tracker bars/ Nutrigrain bars and other cereal bars
- Frozen rolls to defrost on the way there/ bread (in fridge ready to grab)
- Salami
- Cold beans/custard etc. from the tin
- Crisps
- Fruit loaf
- Drinks
- Raisins/ peanuts/ pistachios/ other dried fruit and nuts
- Ritz/ Cheddars/ Tuc and other crackers
- Fresh fruit/ avocado (in fridge ready to grab)
- Long-lasting cheese eg. Babybel, cheese straws (in fridge ready to grab)
- Pot Noodle and other add-hot-water things
- Midget gems/ sweets in general.

Please don't people be shy to mention unhealthy things, it seems I'm not the only one reading threads for these ideas. Some people will mind about the healthiness aspect, some wont. I'm with the "it's only for one day" camp myself.

So far I've got the following filling frozen/packet stuff on our list: Ham or beef rolls pre-made and frozen, ring-pull tins of custard, those heavy fruit and malt loafs (are they called Soreen?), stoned dates, dry apricots, peanuts, Pot Noodle (I expect he can get hot water somewhere) and then general sweets, crisps, cereal bars and drinks.

faverolles Wed 05-Oct-11 11:35:25

I had a massive bar of chocolate in my hospital bag.
Unfortunately, by the time I actually went to hospital, I'd eaten all the chocolate blush
It would keep though, and may be good to give either of you a bit of an energy boost.

Tinkerisdead Wed 05-Oct-11 15:09:23

I was planning a home birth when i had dd. I made a box up for the midwives and dh. It had crisps, crackers, babybels and those lunchables. Haribo, chocolate and stuff for me like boiled sweets, lunchbox drinks etc.

In the end i transferred to hospital and the indie midwife was shouting to dh 'get the food get the food'. The two of them sat for hours munching through it and then in the morning whilst i was still labouring they took in turns to go for 'a bargain 2.50 breakfast' altho midwife did tell dh to buy the papers as baby could keep them. From the whole box i got . . A lolly!

SpannerPants Wed 05-Oct-11 16:35:51

How about pots of jelly/custard/rice pudding?

I stockpiled jaffa cakes, those tubs from m&s with mini flapjack/chocolate rolls and jelly sweets. One of my only memories of the actual labour (thanks to gas and air!) is DP trying to get me to eat something and me swearing at him. I ended up going to theatre and the staff were taking the piss because I had loads of bags of food and they kept falling off the bed as they pushed it down the corridor!

CheeseandGherkins Wed 05-Oct-11 16:41:39

What about things like mini sausage rolls, mini sausages, mini savoury eggs etc? They'd usually last a little while. Italian meats in a cool bag. Cup a soups, might be able to use their kettle (don't forget a cup just in case). Drinks maybe some chocolate for energy if he's up a while or fruit etc. Crackers and cheese or marmite/some spread. You can even get the dolmio (I think it's them) pasta and sauce in packs that you microwave, they must have a microwave there! Biscuits. Anything else snacky, have a browse on a grocery website or walk round the store.

BlueChampagne Thu 06-Oct-11 13:18:00

How about cereal and a carton of UHT milk? Mind you, I think I'd rather eat cold beans from the can than have UHT milk grin

As for unhealthy - labour with DS1 was fuelled by tablet - Scottish fudge (but more crystalline in texture), kindly made by BiL and exported from Aberdeen.

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Oct-11 13:25:30

I have packed 12 cereal bars and 15 bags of McCoys.

Planning on making up sandwhiches for both of us, and freezing. There is a microwave on the maternity suite and it is so blooming hot in teh hospital that they'll thaw pretty quick.

SaffronCake Thu 06-Oct-11 20:05:28

OMG I love tablet. I only discovered this stuff existed in my 30's as I live about as far away from Scotland as you can get. How tablet hasn't taken over the entire globe yet beats me.

<Begins texting friend in Glasgow with a shipping request.>

I'm reluctant to pack him anything that needs a microwave because I am a total insecure control freak and he might escape I'm not sure how long he'd be gone for if he went to look for it.

BlueChampagne Fri 07-Oct-11 13:13:57

grin totally agree - way superior to fudge

Lizcat Fri 07-Oct-11 16:33:22

No further advice, but reminds of friend who was made to wait whilst her DH boiled and ate three eggs with toast before leaving for the hospital to keep his strength up - did he think he was delivering the baby himself he is a beef farmer.

sarahtigh Fri 07-Oct-11 16:33:56

elf' and safety i'd be surprised he would be allowed anywhere near such a dangerous object as a kettle or a microwave hot water from tap i'm afraid for said pot noodle....

serious energy christmas cake type fruit cake fills you up to unlike sugary stuff when feel hungry again soon , just wrap in tinfoil keeps months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now