Talk

Advanced search

How can I perk up a very bland vegetable soup?

(13 Posts)
MrsHollywood Sun 02-Oct-11 22:32:04

I made vegetable soup today, with various leftover veg and stock. I did put a few herbs in, but they are undetectable. The result is very, very bland and not particularly appetising - but I was planning on having it for lunch over the next couple of days! What can I do to make it more appealing?!

BluddyMoFo Sun 02-Oct-11 22:32:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rushofbloodtothefeet Sun 02-Oct-11 22:33:18

garlic, chillies, parmesan and croutons!

RoseC Sun 02-Oct-11 22:33:43

I always throw in either: random cheese (I get the discounted lumps on the reduced shelf) or Lea & Perrins, which has disguised all manner of my food sins in DP's eyes and he's the pickiest person I know.

LaVitaBellissima Sun 02-Oct-11 22:34:08

Add Parmesan cheese, and a bit of chilli oil

HerdOfTinyElephants Sun 02-Oct-11 22:35:25

Fry onion and garlic to soften, then puree and add to soup?

Add tomatoes (possibly tinned) or passata?

MrsHollywood Mon 03-Oct-11 07:50:29

Ok, thanks! I have onion, chilli and garlic so will definitely try that. If I can get out to get some Parmesan, then will add that, too. Cheers!

vixsatis Tue 04-Oct-11 10:53:54

Sherry!

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 04-Oct-11 10:54:43

Cumin

aStarInStrangeways Tue 04-Oct-11 10:57:54

A liberal shake of Tabasco.

RattusRattus Tue 04-Oct-11 10:58:47

Worcester sauce.

studentdesignresearch Wed 05-Oct-11 13:45:52

i always add an extra stock cube (or half) for flavour, if i want to bulk it up i cook lentils in it, just adding a bit more salt and pepper always works, you could make it in to a kind of minestrone and cook little pasta peices in it, adding a few different spices to give it more of an asian twist is good. i like cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric and chilli.
any of those would work?

MrsHollywood Wed 05-Oct-11 18:25:52

Thanks for all these suggestions. In case anyone's interested, I tried some with extra chilli and garlic and some with roasted red pepper pesto stirred in. Both were very good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now