Talk

Advanced search

Using partridge carcasses for soup - too unhygenic?

(3 Posts)
jinglesticks Sun 02-Oct-11 18:09:54

I served partridge last night and after the meal I noticed that everyone had left a lot of meat on their partridge carcasses so I stuck them in a pan to boil for stock. Then, after it had boiled for a bit I turned it off and went to bed. Is it now a really bad idea to use this to make soup today, given that:
1) everyone had been chewing and picking at the carcasses so they might have had lots of germs on them
2) the pan was left out, covered, overnight.

What do you think - seemed a good idea last night after lots of wine, today I'm not sure. Smells really good though!

betabaker Sun 02-Oct-11 18:22:03

No, it's fine. Boiling will get rid of anything. This is how I make stock: chicken/other bird carcass, bones off plates, onion, celery, carrot, peppercorns, bayleaves. cover with cold water, lid on, bring to simmer, leave just bubbling for 3-4 hrs. Leave overnight to cool. Next day boil again, strain through a colander into storage jar/fridge tub (I use those cereal ones) and leave to cool, this time scrape off fat which will have risen to the top, and store in fridge until needed. Use within a week. DH is a chef by the way!

jinglesticks Sun 02-Oct-11 18:39:31

Thanks a lot, that has set my mind at rest. It does smell good so I'm very glad I can enjoy eating it without worrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now