Talk

Advanced search

Sweet Potatoes

(16 Posts)
wheredidiputit Sun 02-Oct-11 11:46:44

Can I roast sweet potatoes, and if so how.

Will they go with roast chicken.

Thanks

RedRosie Sun 02-Oct-11 11:58:39

Yes you can and yes they will!

Peel, cut into the size you fancy. Toss them in some oil (my lot like a sprinkling of cajun spice as well) and roast in a hot oven. They take less time than white potatoes - about 40 minutes.

HTH.

Pinkiemum Sun 02-Oct-11 12:01:22

Yes you can, just cut them up not too small they shouldn't take more than about 40 monutes although can can cook them longer, I just put mine in with the chicken raw spray a little bit of sunflower oil on them, although you could par boil them if you wanted to. I love sweet potoatoes when roasted.

stripeybump Sun 02-Oct-11 12:02:05

I parboil them first like I do white potatoes, but for much less time - literally 5 mins. Roast in olive oil and pepper at high heat for 45 mins. Mmmm!

wheredidiputit Sun 02-Oct-11 12:10:46

Thank you.

I bought them in a fit of 'I wonder what their like'. Got them out of the cupboard this morning and thought WTF do I do with them grin.

Sweet potatoes are also gorgeous when mashed. Boil em, like Shri eh ump said, for 5 mins and then mash with butter. They are a bit wetter than regular spuds, so be careful.

A Spanish friend I lived with during uni would also bake them, and said they were nice too - quite syrupy, but I've never tried them like that, even 14 years later.

Sorry, Stripeybump, your name got autocorrected.

prettybird Sun 02-Oct-11 12:20:03

They also microwave really well. Prick a few times with a fork, then micorave on a plate with a piece of kitchen paper over it. About 8 minutes initially and then for a few minutes at a time until soft. The skin should then peel off easily and the innards can be mashed with a fork (or put into a soup)

BelaLugosidreamsofzombiesheep Mon 03-Oct-11 21:58:29

Dan Lepard's sweet potato brownies are lush smile

iklboo Mon 03-Oct-11 22:12:56

They make lovely wedges too done in the oven. Put them on a baking tray with a little oil, salt & pepper or mixed herbs. Very tasty.

stripeybump Mon 03-Oct-11 22:17:38

grin at v random autocorrect of my name, wtf?!

Sweet potatoes are LUSH microwaved for 8 mins, then just add a dollop of philly or Greek yog and some pesto.

Bellavita Mon 03-Oct-11 22:28:27

We had roast sweet potato wedges tonight with Cajun chicken and salad. Delicious!

SexyDomesticatedDab Tue 04-Oct-11 13:21:44

Bella - that was pretty much exactly what we had!!

wheredidiputit Tue 04-Oct-11 15:14:35

Thank you for your replies.

And the verdict is while I liked them no one else did.

So I have to buy more and make them like themgrin.

SexyDomesticatedDab Tue 04-Oct-11 15:40:01

Not all our DS' like them - put a bit of fajita or cajun spice over them after you have rubbed them in oil.

When you roast them, chuck in some garlic cloves and rosemary. Yum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now