Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a recipe for a really chewy flapjack?

(13 Posts)
Gincognito Fri 30-Sep-11 22:48:24

Nowadays I mostly make Nigella's version, which is tasty but with a crumbly texture.

I have a vague childhood memory of making flapjacks to take to brownies that were deliciously chewy, almost caramelised. I really want to recreate these!

Any suggestions? I am willing to try each recipe suggested! <keen>

substantiallycompromised Fri 30-Sep-11 23:11:14

You need to study this thread!!

substantiallycompromised Fri 30-Sep-11 23:16:58

I'll be back tomorrow with another recipe too (when I can find it)

Soupdragon's are held together by condensed milk which make all the difference. They never go wrong. (As she says, remember to reduce sugar.)

The other recipe I gleaned from Mnset uses SR (or perhaps bicarb - can't quite remember). I think apple was added too. Heavenly flavour but it was a bit crumbly so poss not what you are looking for.

Gincognito Sat 01-Oct-11 07:51:01

Substantially, thank you! I had no idea that flapjack was the source of such hot debate on MN.

Silly me grin

substantiallycompromised Sat 01-Oct-11 16:41:06

Yes .... I would have thought it might be cupcakes (rather relieved it isn't though!)

Have alternative recipe if it interests you. It's from another Mnsnetter but sadly can't credit her as didn't write her name down.

8Oz butter
8oz oats
8oz sugar (I use 4oz)

2 oz golden syrup

4oz flour
pinch salt
2 pinch bicarb
2 tablespoons water

Melt butter, syrup and water
Add dry ingreds
Stir

Add fruit (grated apple) or nuts if you want

Squish down a bit in tray

Cook 150°c for 35-40 mins.

Has lovely rather unusual flavour for a flapjack and is lighter owing to raising agents.

Enjoy your taste testing comparisons!

Gincognito Sat 01-Oct-11 18:06:14

Right, I've made the soupdragon batch (told you I was keen grin) and it's delicious, but...

I'm looking for a particular texture, I guess. Isn't there some kind of flapjack klaxon we could sound?

Will give that recipe a go when I've restocked, thank you. I'm also trying to cook all of Nigella Lawson's apple-based recipes at the moment and have got through and entire tube of golden syrup this afternoon!

substantiallycompromised Sat 01-Oct-11 19:52:21

Sounds delicious Gincognito

I'll be round later on wink

substantiallycompromised Sat 01-Oct-11 19:52:36

[spot the deliberate error]

Gincognito Sat 01-Oct-11 20:50:58

Not sure I get what you mean <fick>

Are you here already? grin

substantiallycompromised Sun 02-Oct-11 09:19:31

Not fick - I was being lame pedantic

Meant I was going to literally become round (as opposed to popping around) as a consequence of eating too many flapjacks!

It is a problem actually. I keep making flapjacks for dd's lunchbox and then snaffling them myself.

JulesJules Sun 02-Oct-11 09:27:30

This is the flapjack I make, it is my aunt's recipe:

8oz butter
8oz soft brown sugar (I use muscovado for a treacly taste)
12oz oats
good pinch salt
syrup

Greased & lined tin, Gas 4

Melt butter and sugar together, gradually add oats and mix well.

Add good dollop of syrup. Put in tin and cook 20 mins.

Allow to cool slightly and mark into bars.

SoupDragon Sun 02-Oct-11 12:20:20

I don't put any of the sugar in mine at all now. It is completely unnecessary!

Would the texture be down to the oats? Don't use jumbo oats, just use small cheap ones. Boiling the condensed milk/butter/syrup until it turns a lovely caramel colour adds to the flavour too, although you do need to stir it constantly to avoid burning.

nothruroad Sun 02-Oct-11 20:34:35

I remember my mother making amazing chewy flapjacks that had cornflakes in them. I think it was probably this Bero recipe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now