Advanced search

Rice cooker?

(15 Posts)
ExpectoPatronum Fri 30-Sep-11 12:57:09

Can anyone recommend a make / model of rice cooker? I really want one smile

AngelDog Fri 30-Sep-11 14:10:17

Me too - just waiting for Christmas. smile

MamaChocoholic Fri 30-Sep-11 14:21:11

why? what can a rice cooker do that a saucepan with a tight fitting lid can't? just curious smile

clare8allthepies Fri 30-Sep-11 14:24:17

I've got an electric steamer with a rice bowl which cooks the rice perfectly - and you can cook things in the other tiers at the same time

ExpectoPatronum Fri 30-Sep-11 14:29:44

Mama, I usually botch rice despite my best efforts. Then I went to my friend's house for dinner and she produced absolutely perfect gorgeous rice despite having spent the whole evening sitting at the table with us drinking wine. Made me want to get one too. (Nigella recommends them highly in 'Kitchen')

MamaChocoholic Fri 30-Sep-11 14:40:38

Expecto, this is easy saucepan rice: take 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of cold water. put in pan, heat, when it starts to boil cover tightly and either turn heat down very low (or even turn off completely). 15 minutes later rice is done (check with fork). can be left with lid on for a while before serving. timings all quite forgiving, you just may get some toffee rice on bottom of the pan if you boil dry, but then you can remind yourself that in Iran this is considered the best bit grin

reckoner Fri 30-Sep-11 14:43:37

just buy boil in the bag rice or use a steamer

Scootergrrrl Fri 30-Sep-11 14:44:31

I have a Tefal four in one thingy which I love dearly.

jimblejambles Fri 30-Sep-11 16:58:17

I have got a tefal rice cooker 2000 which is great. My friend has a russell hobbs one which she loves smile

QueenofWhatever Fri 30-Sep-11 20:00:41

I have a Tefal one which I love, love, love. Chuck in rice, chorizo, sun dried tomatoes, peppers and stock for a great supper in less than half an hour.

schroeder Fri 30-Sep-11 20:20:37

I have this

It's great cheap and cheerful grin

AngelDog Fri 30-Sep-11 20:40:46

My friend who has 4 children and does a lot of hospitality has a rice cooker and says it's brilliant.

She fills it and puts the timer on whenever she has a free moment (eg in the morning) and it delivers perfectly cooked rice at dinner without her faffing with saucepans while she's trying to cook for guests and put 4 children to bed. smile

valiumredhead Sat 01-Oct-11 17:14:48

What mama said - works every time as long as you just leave it and DON'T STIR it!

AngelDog Sat 01-Oct-11 21:52:57

I use Mama's method and every time the rice sticks to the bottom of the saucepan. What am I doing wrong?

MamaChocoholic Sun 02-Oct-11 09:46:57

Angel, you might have the heat too high, or you might cook it too long. try turning the heat off before the last of the water is absorbed, and just leave it to sit and fluff up on its own. (but if it's not burnt, the bit stuck to the bottom of the saucepan is delicious and I like to overdo my rice just slightly so I get to eat it as I dish up)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now