Talk

Advanced search

mince beaf

(5 Posts)
addictediam Thu 29-Sep-11 13:01:14

I have 2 packets of mince in the fridge i want to cook with and then freeze the meal.

The best before date is the 28th (yesterday) I know meat doesnt go rancid at the stroke of midnight and am usually the first to say as long as its cooked through itll be fine.

But one of the packets has slightly discoloured its gone brown. Is it still ok to cook and freeze then eat at a later date?

addictediam Thu 29-Sep-11 13:02:49

Beef blush

addictediam Thu 29-Sep-11 13:04:36

Double blush I'm nit sure which is right and which is wrong!

BoozeDilemma Thu 29-Sep-11 13:35:36

Beef loses its bright red colour when exposed to the air. Supermarkets sell them in special sealed packs to prevent air getting in so it stays bright red and looks more appealing. If you buy it loose at the butchers, it will be mostly brown by the time you cook with it. The only way to tell if it's ok is a sniff test! It should be absolutely fine the day after the BB date, especially when thoroughly cooked.

(note on sniff tests: sealed packs of meat, fish, salad, veg are usually 'gas flushed', ie a special gas is injected into the pack to preserve the life of the product for a bit longer. When you first open the pack, there might be a horrid smell. That is the gas, and it will dissipate after a minute. Dont reject fresh food too prematurely)

This is why I buy all meat, fish and veg from the butcher/grocer, rather than in sealed packs. At least I can see what I am getting, and there's no nasty surprises once I get home!

addictediam Thu 29-Sep-11 13:59:41

Thankyou, although they are both in thoes sealed containers I'll cook and freeze now then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now