Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do any of you give your children hot food in a flask to take to school?

(14 Posts)
ShowOfHands Thu 29-Sep-11 11:53:24

I'm wondering about buying something like this for dd for school. They're really picky about what they can/can't take for lunch and dd is coming home starving because a sandwich and fruit seems to be the extent of the allowed list. And they're only allowed fruit at morning break. Anything that would sustain her which I bake at home (flapjacks, wholemeal muffins, oatcakes etc) is banned. I wondered if a flask would mean she can take soup or pasta for lunch and it's nice and wide so she could eat from it/dip bread in it. And it would fit their healthy eating requirements.

Anybody else done it? Is it a ridiculous idea?

ChunkyPickle Thu 29-Sep-11 11:59:17

I used to take soup (and for a while, tea! I was a strange child) to school in a flask - one of those wide-neck plastic jobs they had in the 80s

It's not hot enough to burn by the time lunch comes around, so that's not an issue (although spilling it is if the lid's tough to get off)

ShowOfHands Thu 29-Sep-11 11:59:26

A monstrous pink one aimed at children.

alison222 Thu 29-Sep-11 12:00:46

We have a narrow necked one and sometimes the children take soup and pour it into the cup then dip bread into it and eat the rest with a spoon. They will only usually take it when it is really cold though. Even heating the flask first and then putting super hot food in, it only seems to be warm rather than piping hot by lunchtime. I don't know if it is our flask or that it is stainless steel ( to stop them breaking it - like the one you have in your link) that does it - or if soup would just get cold anyway.
Hopefully someone else will come along soon to help more.

NoNoNoMYDoIt Thu 29-Sep-11 12:02:57

i was thinking of doing this also for DS - meant to phone and ask the school if he would be allowed to take one in? i remember having one as a kid! but H&S has gone mad these days and they would probably say 'no' in case he tipped hot food over himself. not that the school dinner are hot, obviously, and the kids can be trusted with them.

i saw one in aldi this week and it looked like you heated the food up in the inside bit in the microwave and then put it inside the flask itself. maybe that would keep it warmer?

ShowOfHands Thu 29-Sep-11 12:03:35

I did think about spilling. But dd should manage and if they make ones for children, I assume they're not too hard to get into. I've even found one with a built in bowl.

Abra1d Thu 29-Sep-11 12:04:40

We have used both kinds: thermos and microwave. I recommend them. I used to send my daughter in with pasta and it worked well.

ThighsTheLimit Thu 29-Sep-11 12:05:41

Mine take these sometimes.

www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=O3Z&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=stainless+steel+flask+0.5l&gs_upl=2495l3014l0l4018l2l2l0l0l0l0l219l358l0.1.1l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=690&bih=838&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16541577423679933166&sa=X&ei=clCETv6IFJPE8QP7r9g0&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAg

They take soup with some bread, they have taken pasta, and I have given them hotdogs in them too. Wrapped them in foil and popped them in the flask. They pop them on the roll at school.

They have said the food is hot enough to eat, but not roasting.

ShowOfHands Thu 29-Sep-11 12:06:25

I've seen one of those microwaveable ones on amazon. Good reviews.

ShowOfHands Thu 29-Sep-11 12:08:29

This all sounds promising. I like the idea of the wide ones so she doesn't have to pour it all over the table decant.

stomping Thu 29-Sep-11 12:13:51

we have the pink thermos one and a wide alladin one which doesn't keep the food as warm as thermos but you can put a proper dinner in like sausage and mash or stew and dumplings. If you have it scalding just before you leave the house then its fine by lunchtime.

NoNoNoMYDoIt Thu 29-Sep-11 12:15:35

i still have a feeling that the school would not be happy! need to summon up the courage energy to phone the dragon efficient secretary and ask

BleughCowWonders Thu 29-Sep-11 12:19:04

My dd takes soup or pasta in sauce. The pasta only stays warm-ish,but is fine. One of her friends takes boiled new potatoes in a flask!

alison222 Fri 30-Sep-11 10:30:25

I must say I never asked - I just sent it in. As NoNoNo said the school dinners are hot so what is the problem? The only thing I would say is that the dinner ladies won't always notice if your child is having difficulties opening the flask do make sure your DD can do it herself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now