Talk

Advanced search

I have 6 very large browning bananas....

(29 Posts)
MumGoneCrazy Thu 29-Sep-11 11:29:47

Can I have some suggestions and recipes please? smile TIA

Madlizzy Thu 29-Sep-11 11:30:13

Banana bread.

ExitPursuedByaBear Thu 29-Sep-11 11:32:34

Seconded

MmeLindor. Thu 29-Sep-11 11:33:45

Banana loaf

And if you are feeling extravagant, bung in some choc chips or caramel chips. Or even both.

FreddieMercurysBolero Thu 29-Sep-11 11:35:48

Nigel@slater does a superful black banana bread. Its pretty damned tasty, and foolproof too. Its on the bbc good food webbersite.

MmeLindor. Thu 29-Sep-11 11:36:45

I have been meaning to try this recipe

Although it calls for non-ripe bananas. Your ripe bananas might be a bit squidgy.

mistlethrush Thu 29-Sep-11 11:40:03

If they're just very ripe but not actually over the top, Ds likes me making banana pops. The simple version is half the banana, stick a stick (or handle of some sort) in the cut end, wrap in foil, put in freezer. Use as ice cream substitute. The slightly more complicated version (good for stopping gooey banana sticking on foil) is to gently press crunchy cereal (oat crunch / granola type) on the outside before freezing. The more complicated one that that requires you to freeze with the granola on, then trickle melted chocolate over and refreeze.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 29-Sep-11 11:42:15

Another vote for banana bread. Yum.

Justonecheese Thu 29-Sep-11 11:43:42

Banana breakfast muffins-nice alternative to cereal/toast and a good way to get some banana into DD. Very easy to make. DP also loves them smile

yellowraincoat Thu 29-Sep-11 11:43:55

banana and bacon sandwiches.

Sounds revolting, is delicious.

sittinghippo Thu 29-Sep-11 15:59:21

I threw a handful of raisins into my banana loaf. Lasts well and can be frozen. (banana loaf will only need two large bananas) so you could make a batch.

Bacon and banana... Really?? Would be afraid to try it in case of wasting good bacon!!

yellowraincoat Thu 29-Sep-11 17:31:10

It's so nice hippo! Made it once when it was the only thing I had in the house. Super crispy bacon, mushy bananas, toasted white bread...mmmm.

rockinhippy Thu 29-Sep-11 17:37:02

if you've not used them up by now, I've a lower fat & Sugar Banana cake recipe that uses a lot of bananas, & the riper the better - its based on a traditional Brazilian recipe but I tweaked it a bit - shout if you still need it & I'll dig it out of my files & post it smile

Ginger4justice Thu 29-Sep-11 17:44:46

If you've still got one going spare mush it up and add it to flapjack mixture. It makes it all gooey. Yum. I'm a bit jealous now envy

SenoritaViva Thu 29-Sep-11 17:45:25

Mombasa by midnight...

Fried bananas with rum and brown sugar. Yum.

ivykaty44 Thu 29-Sep-11 17:48:43

Banana Loaf – Best Ever

4oz butter
4 oz brown sugar (use any color)
1 egg
1Ilb banana
3 tbsp yogurt, any flavor or plain or crème fraise
1 tsp vanilla ess
8 oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarb
1 tsp cinnamon
4 oz raisins

Gas 4 oven with shelf in middle
Grease and line a 7x11 loaf tin

Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together – or put in food processor and push button. Then add egg and beat till smooth. Add banana’s if doing by hand mash first, if in and push processor then just chop them into the bowl button. Add yogurt and vanilla essence.

Sift in the flour, bicarb, cinnamon and push button or stir.

Finally add the raisins (don’t push button as the raisins will disappear!!) just mix in with a spoon and then pour the mixture into the bread /loaf tin and level off with a shake and put in the oven for one hour and twenty mins – check a cocktail stick comes out clean and it is cooked.

Turn out and let it cool. Then cut into slices and put each slice in a freezer bag – pop in the freezer and use when required Ideal for pack – ups as the slice of loaf will have defrosted by lunch time.

CointreauVersial Thu 29-Sep-11 17:49:30

The weather is excellent, get the BBQ out! Split the banana skins, insert chocolate buttons, pop on the coals, eat with vanilla ice cream.

Or if you're feeling "posh", take the banana out of its skin and wrap in buttered foil with chocolate buttons pushed into it, and a slosh of rum on top. Cook on the coals as above.

MumGoneCrazy Thu 29-Sep-11 18:04:23

Thanks for all the reply's, they all sound tasty grin

I've been packing all day so leaving the baking until tomorrow and would be grateful for as many recipes as possible as I've nicked more bananas from my DFather grin

What do you do if a recipe calls for bicarb but you don't have?

Madlizzy Thu 29-Sep-11 18:16:57

Buy some. :P :P :P

zipzap Thu 29-Sep-11 19:03:25

Banana-ies... They're like brownies but with bananas rather than chocolate. But you can add choc chips and/or nuts to make them extra yummy too.

Another vote for bacon and bananas. For real comfort food I'll make bacon and eggy bread then put another knob of butter into the pan and let it get all foamy then quickly slice a banana into it and cook for a couple of minutes so it goes all caramelised and yummy (you need to keep it moving in the pan so it doesn't stick or burn). Then pile everything onto the plate and devour it smile

Absolute heaven!!!

lostinafrica Thu 29-Sep-11 19:23:05

Bananas are the cheapest fruit where we live, so we eat them all the time. Always browning because of the heat!

We do...

Whizz up 1 banana with about 250ml milk for v quick breakfast drink.

Banana bread - another vote from me!

Fry bananas with knob of butter, orange juice and a bit of brown sugar. Serve with plain yoghurt. We call this Hot Banana Pud and the children love it. (It came from a website with a name similar to MN... nevertheless, it's very good! grin )

I have tasted other people's banana flapjacks, which have been great, but I've never made them myself.

Ooh, or cut unpeeled banana down middle, push dark chocolate or dark Toblerone or whatever takes your fancy in, wrap in foil and bake in oven. (This is also a good BBQ dessert.)

lostinafrica Thu 29-Sep-11 19:27:53

Ginger and Cointreau - missed your posts on my first read, repeated your ideas...

So just add to normal recipe for flapjacks, Ginger? Must try that...

ivykaty44 Thu 29-Sep-11 21:38:34

What do you do if a recipe calls for bicarb but you don't have?

Use SR flour instead of plain..? might work

MumGoneCrazy Sat 01-Oct-11 19:55:39

Well I made a banana Loaf and a square banana cake (as my round tins were hiding from me somewhere) with banana buttercream.

The kids loved the cake but haven't tried the loaf yet the top went a bit dark but I think the inside is a little too moist but I did use loads and loads of banana so maybe that's why!

Pics on profile if you want a look, thanks thanks for all the ideas.

bigTillyMint Sat 01-Oct-11 19:58:00

If the loaf isn't perfect, warm the slices in the microwave and serve with custard as a pudding. Yum grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now