Talk

Advanced search

MN Cook Club - October suggestions for preserve recipes

(25 Posts)
ColdSancerre Thu 29-Sep-11 11:11:00

The idea is to have 'a book club for recipes' where every fortnight or so we choose some recipes to try, try them and report back on how easy they were, what went right, what went wrong, cost per portion and how everyone in your family liked them etc.

For this cook club we're going to do preserves, I think we should split them into sweet and savoury?

This is a thread for everyone to suggest recipes in those categories. I'll leave the thread open for suggestions for a week then we can all vote on which we'd like to do.

So please post your suggested recipes from the above categories, either link to it or type it out.

TobyLeWolef Thu 29-Sep-11 11:13:57

Red onion marmalade. Comments say to leave out the butter, though, just FYI.

Actually, I'm going to make this whether it gets chosen or not!

ColdSancerre Thu 29-Sep-11 11:19:48

Tomato and chilli jam

Made a jar of this the other week and it is really lovely especially with gaoats cheese.

Kveta Thu 29-Sep-11 11:27:36

I'll start grin

I only started preserving stuff this autumn, so all the recipes I've tried so far have been tried in the last month!

Sweet:

pear vanilla jam I am making this regardless of it getting picked!!

belgian bottled pears these are yummy! I filled 2 litre kilner jars with them when I made them, haven't checked that they still taste good 3 weeks later though!

apple butter - this is a very adaptable recipe, and the 1st jam I've ever made. I basically filled a large pan with all the apples I could fit, then once I'd rubbed the softened apples through a sieve, I measured the pulp in cups (you can use a mug for this, as it's mainly about ratios of sugar to apple pulp)

Savoury:

tomato jam - this stuff is incredible with burgers. don't make the mistake I made and only do 1 lb of tomatoes then give a jar to your parents as a gift, because you will then be pissed off at only having 1/2 a jar to yourself!!

apple and blackberry jelly - this is easy, and although possibly a sweet recipe, is fab with meat. I used the fruit left over from the jelly bag and rubbed it through a sieve, added a small carton of apple juice, a tsp of vanilla, and the juice of a lemon, and have made some yummy apple and blackberry butter with it. (oh, and the relevant amount of sugar too, of course!)

Kveta Thu 29-Sep-11 11:28:25

ooh, that red onion marmalade is making my mouth water! {drools}

Plonking myself down. Will be back with recipes later, and will also post my results on t'other tread too. Sorry, been slacker than a slack thing the past few days.

I will be travelling back to England next week from Spain, so may not be able to make much until we're back there around the 12th, but will be at my Mum's for the first few days when we're back, so will have every food substance known to man at my disposal grin

Here's a start...

Spiced Apple Chutney

7 medium eating apples, peeled, cored and diced
12oz granulated sugar
3 cloves
1 tsp ginger, grated
¼ tsp star anise powder
¼ fennel powder
A pinch of cardamom powder
A pinch of salt
1 tsp (or more) chilli flakes

Mix together the apples and sugar in a large saucepan. Leave on a low heat until the juice begins to seep out of the apples. When there is juice in the pan you can increase the heat (this is just so the sugar doesn’t burn). Don’t stir the mixture with a spoon, simply swirl it in the pan if you want nice big pieces of apple in your chutney.

When the sugar begins to caramelise and the mixture reduces to thick syrup add the ginger, star anise powder, fennel powder, cardamom powder, salt and chilli. Cook on a very low heat for 2-3 minutes then remove from the heat. The heat left in the pan should be enough to finish cooking the spices perfectly.

Fill the chutney into a sterilized glass jar and keep in the fridge. It should keep well for a few months.

Great with cheese, but also fab just on some toast.

Apple Mint Jelly

1kg apples, peeled and cored
1 litre water
50g fresh mint, chopped
500g caster sugar

Put the apples and 2 tablespoons of water to a large saucepan, cook for twenty minutes over low to medium heat. Spoon the mixture into a large sieve and let the juice drain into a bowl. (Try to leave for 3 hours).

Add the mint and 1 litre of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes.

Pour in the strained apple juice and add sugar. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and and simmer gently for 40 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into sterilized jars.

Delicious with lamb, as a nice change from standard mint sauce/jelly. Also goes really well with cold meats.

Sweet ones to come later grin

ColdSancerre Thu 29-Sep-11 14:15:37

RockStock do you think the apple mint jelly would work with rosemary? I bought some rosemary jeely at a WI market a few years ago and loved it but wasn't sure how it was made.

Yes, absolutely. I have a recipe for that somewhere and there's a chance that somewhere is not in a box in storage in the middle of nowhere!!

Apple and Rosemary Jelly

2¾ lb cooking apples
Juice of one lemon
Sugar
2 medium sprigs rosemary

Wash the apples and cut off any bruised bits and cut the apples into chunks without peeling or coring.

Put in a pan with the lemon juice and enough cold water to cover and bring to the boil and simmer until the apples are very soft and the liquid is reduced by a third.

Strain the apple mixture through a jelly cloth or muslin overnight. Don't squeeze the apples though, as this will make a cloudy jelly.

Measure the strained liquid and for every 450ml of liquid add 450g sugar. Put the apple liquid, sugar and rosemary sprigs into a large pan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and then boil rapidly for 10 minutes or until setting point is reached.

Put the jelly in to warmed, sterilised pots, cover with a waxed lid (or circle of greaseproof paper) and seal. Will keep for ever!

This is great with any meat, but particularly lamb and pork.

If any of you have easy access to quinces, I also have a divine recipe for membrillo, which is a Spanish solid jelly/preserve great with cheeses and cold meats.

Kveta Fri 30-Sep-11 10:00:44

one more jam I'd like to try - rhubarb and ginger jam - my mum made this last year and has been waxing lyrical about it, and I finally opened the jar of it she gave me - and WOW. absolutely gorgeous. My wee sister has been dropping some serious hints about getting some of this for christmas too grin

Kveta Sun 02-Oct-11 17:49:11

just wanted to bump this thread and say I have made the pear and vanilla jam to use up the carrier bag of rotting pears my colleague gave me! I'm posting a review of it here, hope you don't mind?

I used 8 cups of pears and 4 cups of sugar, so that was nearly a whole bag of jam sugar, but it made 4 jars. And I got 20 vanilla beans off ebay for £3, so 2 of them are 30p!

Cost per jar -- £0.48
Ease of obtaining ingredients -- 10/10
Ease of following recipe -- 7/10
Time taken to prepare/cook -- 7/10 peeling and coring manky pears was the worst bit!
Family opinion on finished product -- I haven't made pear jam before so not sure how much it is meant to set, and I think I undercooked it a bit, it's rather sloppy. plus pears give off a LOT of juice! DH and DS both like the jar we opened, and I think it's yummy, and very delicately flavoured. definitely tastes of pears though!

frenchfancy Sun 02-Oct-11 18:06:45

Mind if I join in?

I'm thinking of making this:

www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/f/fig_chutney.html

I love chutney, and I confess I have a heavily laden fig tree.

Otherwise this apple chutney looks nice:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2646/classic-apple-chutney

Kveta Wed 05-Oct-11 09:19:26

bump!!

fig chutney sounds lovely, i've just planted a fig twig in my garden in the hope of some fruit next year!! we got 1 fig off it this year before planting it out grin

HardKnockLife Sat 08-Oct-11 08:01:02

looks nice

I have not tried this but wanted to last year and did not get around to it.

HardKnockLife Sat 08-Oct-11 08:01:42

Also should add the Chilli Jam and Onion Marmalade look tasty.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 08-Oct-11 09:40:43

Anyone with a quince bush groaning with fruit right now in the garden .... Quince Jelly

TobyLeWolef Mon 10-Oct-11 10:12:33

Bump. I made the onion marmalade yesterday, so if it gets chosen, I will post my review then.

Kveta Tue 11-Oct-11 09:31:12

Toby, could you post a review anyway? would be nice to decide if it's worth making grin

ColdSancerre what's the plan for the october club?

TobyLeWolef Tue 11-Oct-11 10:17:45

I'll save the review for the proper thread, but it was lovely. The cooking times didn't seem particularly accurate -- I cooked it on perhaps a slightly lower heat than stated, but it took around twice as long as stated in the recipe to get to the 'spoon making a path on the bottom of the pan' stage. I also only added 250ml of vinegar, instead of 350ml, and it's still a little vinegary.

ColdSancerre Tue 11-Oct-11 21:36:53

Hello hello sorry!

Last call for recipes you have 24 hrs and then I'll do a poll thread.

RockStockAndABubblingCauldron Tue 11-Oct-11 21:49:19

Sorry not been back with any others. Had a four day drive back from Spain and am only just starting to wake up now wink

At my mum's and have 4 quince trees and about 8765432 apples from getting DD3 to do my collection this morning from her garden. grin

ColdSancerre Tue 11-Oct-11 21:52:27

You drive to and from the UK? Wow! Do you get the ferry from the North coast or drive all the way down France?

RockStockAndABubblingCauldron Wed 12-Oct-11 14:37:57

We drove up through Spain and stopped in Toledo (stunning City) for the first night, then up to San Sebastian, which is pretty much the food capital of Spain, and had THE most amazing meal there. Long drive up through France, going round Bordeaux, past La Rochelle (ish) round Nantes to a tiny town called Questembert (about 20 minutes south of Vannes) for the night with a friend there. Finally a 4 hour potter to Le Harve and the roughest ferry across to Portsmouth - very windy and VERY choppy!

Got back to my Mum's house late on Sunday evening. Moving into new place in London in a couple of weeks grin and I can't wait to open all our boxes - it will be like Christmas for me as all my cook stuff - knives, pots, books etc etc have been in storage since July. Yes, I know, I am a child grin

ColdSancerre Thu 13-Oct-11 17:51:02

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, voting thread here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now