Talk

Advanced search

Non dairy egg substitute?

(12 Posts)
oopslateagain Tue 27-Sep-11 20:08:20

I need to find an egg substitute that is non-dairy AND works in cakes. There are several on the market but they make cakes that are just soggy and nasty! Has anyone made a successful cake with an egg substitute - please share your secret!

GardenersDelight Tue 27-Sep-11 20:16:17

I've used soya flour and its been fairly successful but I've only done it with small cakes

thisisyesterday Tue 27-Sep-11 20:17:59

pureed apple or mashed banana works

is there a particular kind of cake you want to make? egg subs IMO aren't that great but there are plenty of decent vegan cake recipes out there...

YougreatPamplemousse Tue 27-Sep-11 20:22:09

I use silken tofu in my cakes instead of eggs - 25g of silken tofu =1 egg

oopslateagain Tue 27-Sep-11 20:35:36

I made some 'fairy' cakes tonight using mashed banana, they were a bit soggy at the bottom but crispy on top - I think too much sugar, as the banana was very ripe. Banana works brilliantly as egg substitute in fruit cakes.

I have tried the cornflour/water mix but it just doesn't work for cakes.

Never tried the silken tofu - do you mash it first to make it gloopy?

YougreatPamplemousse Tue 27-Sep-11 21:12:41

Yup, I mash mine then whisk it up until it is smooth with the pure spread and sugar.

Dumpyandabdabs Wed 28-Sep-11 12:11:27

Ooh do you like fruit cake? I have a lovely recipe for a light fruit cake which is made using bicarb and malt vinegar to create the raising agent (don't worry you can't taste the vinegar. Its at work and I'm not back til friday but if your interested I'll fetch it back with me then.

oopslateagain Wed 28-Sep-11 16:08:53

I love fruit cake, please do post the recipe! My friend has just made me a Christmas cake with no egg or butter - but lots of fruit and brandy, yum! wink

Seona1973 Wed 28-Sep-11 20:15:19

I have been experimenting today. I used ground up flaxseeds/linseeds mixed with water (1 tablespoon whole flaxseed, ground up and mixed with 4 tablespoons of water) and heated till gloopy - used it in banana muffins. Vinegar is supposed to be an egg substitute too along with baking soda (bicarb).

MrsPlesWearsAFez Wed 28-Sep-11 20:17:26

I either use the ogran(?) egg substitute powder that you van find in Holland & Barratt, or a combination of cider vinegar mixed with soya milk (which surprisingly you can't taste).

DonaUmamiPeron Wed 28-Sep-11 20:18:11

I have used gram flour mixed with water. So, 30g gram flour mixed with 30mLs water, to replace a 60g (ish) average egg. Only really done it in a non-exciting fruit loaf, though it comes out beautifully.

Dumpyandabdabs Wed 28-Sep-11 22:34:46

I'll make sure I get a copy on friday, might have to divide the recipe up, normally we batch bake about 8 at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now