Talk

Advanced search

Cooking with Oatly, anyone tried it? Recipes please!

(3 Posts)
joymaker Mon 26-Sep-11 22:09:10

My DS 16.5 months has an intolerance to cows milk so have been recommended Oatly as it's fortified. However my DS won't drink it (and doesn't really like very sweet things so making milkshakes by adding fruit haven't worked well).

I thought now I might try cooking with it, for instance rice pudding, porridge (both will obviously not be very sweet), macaroni and cauliflower cheese (he can tolerate a little cheese for some reason).

Has anyone tried cooking with oatly? what was the result? Any good recipes to pass on? wink

Thanks in advance

thereinmadnesslies Mon 26-Sep-11 22:31:55

I used to use Oatly a lot before DS2 moved on to soya milk. We used it with Ready Brek for breakfast, cooked in the microwave (although I wonder if it actually tastes the same as Ready Brek and water). Rice pudding is fine, but always came out sweet so go gently with the sugar. I also made custard, you need the old-style birds custard powder and I found you need a bit more powder than the instructions to make it thicken. I made scones and muffins, using pure dairy free spread and oatly instead of milk and butter.
DS2 can't have cheese but I used to make him the Annabel Karmel fish pie and cod mornay recipes - leave out the cheese and poaach the fish in Oatly instead of milk.
There's an Oatly recipes section on their website www.oatly.co.uk/Recipes/

joymaker Tue 27-Sep-11 15:19:50

thein so glad to hear that Oatly works well in cooking! I've tasted it and I think its quite nice, though I've noticed it needs a real shake up before poring as it so easily seperates and thats why I wasn't fully convinced that the results would be great (though their recipes looked very apetizing). Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I shall now proceed with confidence... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now