Talk

Advanced search

Got home from a weekend away to find a giant cabbage on my doorstep...

(8 Posts)
NurseFleischerBaum Mon 26-Sep-11 15:59:15

Seriously, it's huge. I couldn't weigh it because my kitchen scales don't go high enough. I can barely lift it.

So, 1) will it still be tasty, being so big and 2) if so, anyone got any cabbage-heavy recipes they want to share? It's a white cabbage.

Oh yes, and 3) should I be suspicious? I have no clue where it came from. It's roughly six times larger than any cabbage I've ever seen. Maybe it's radioactive or contains a bomb or something.

deemented Mon 26-Sep-11 16:00:54

You have to take a photo of it!!

StickThemWithThePointyEnd Mon 26-Sep-11 16:01:58

sauerkraut
sausages and cabbage with paprika and tomato
cabbage soup
stuffed cabbage leaves
coleslaw

these are from the top of my head, if any of them appeal I would happily share my recipes.

NurseFleischerBaum Mon 26-Sep-11 16:06:03

Hi StickThemWithThePointyEnd, I'd be interested in seeing your cabbage soup recipe - thank you! I could make vats and vats and then freeze it.

NurseFleischerBaum Mon 26-Sep-11 16:06:59

deemented A photo is definitely required, am at work right now though.

NurseFleischerBaum Mon 26-Sep-11 16:09:56

ooh, someone just suggested sausage-stuffed cabbage leaves, sounds very tasty...

StickThemWithThePointyEnd Mon 26-Sep-11 16:18:50

oohh yes, stuffed cabbage leaves are very good - I stuff mine either with sausage meat or mince. you need to blanch the cabbage a little before stuffing, then add the.mixture, and I then stick it all in a pot of tomato sauce and in the oven for a day an hour. tastes even better when reheated.

for the cabbage soup:
350g sausages, the more seasoninh the better
oil
onion, finely chopped
leek, halved lengthways and sliced
2 carrots thinly sliced
a can of choppes tomatoes
350g cabbage
garlic
thyme
1.5l stock
salt and pepper

boil the sausages, then peel and slice them.
heat oil in pan, add onions leek and carrots, cook till onion starts to soften.
add tomatoes, cabbage, garlic, thyme, stock and sausages.
boil till the veg is done and season to taste.

sorry for mistakes, typing on phone.

NurseFleischerBaum Mon 26-Sep-11 16:27:30

Thank you very much Stick, that's all been copied and pasted smile

I found a recipe for shchi and your cabbage soup one sounds similar, but with the excellent addition of sausage! And shchi has potato and sour cream in it. Think I might go crazy and combine the two recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now