Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian meal to entertain

(13 Posts)
Jezabelle Sun 25-Sep-11 19:42:07

Next weekend DH is off to a beer fest in London, (alright for some!) I've invited my girlfriends over for dinner on Saturday night. They're really good friends and I'd like to make them a really special meal. They've never tried my cooking as we usually eat out. One of them's a veggie but eats fish, (pescatarian?).

So, looking for a meat free meal, for 5, that is impressive but relaxed at the same time. Don't mind going to some effort but not too much as will have the DCs alone all day and don't want to end up all stressed out!

I was thinking canepes, main and pudding, (not starter) but am open to suggestions.

TIA

AuntieMonica Sun 25-Sep-11 19:43:50

you really can't beat a good old veggie curry, think samosas, popadoms and dips, and a veggie curry as main

if everyone likes curry that is grin

pinkyredrose Sun 25-Sep-11 20:29:55

How about veggie meze? Pitta bread (or crusty bread or wraps), bread sticks, carrot and cucumber sticks, cherry toms, hummus, (red pepper or peri peri hummus is yum!) tzaziki, stuffed peppers, stuffed vine leaves. olives, sun dried tomatoes, coleslaw, cous cous, different cheeses, various salad leaves, with herbs if u like, grilled halloumi, the possiblities are endless! I defy anyone not to be happy with veggie meze.

pinkyredrose Sun 25-Sep-11 20:30:49

oh and cheesecake for after!!!

Bunbaker Sun 25-Sep-11 20:33:49

I did a veggie mezze for some veggie friends and it went down a storm. I think that's a great idea pinkyredrose.

I was going to suggest spinach and ricotta lasagne. You can prepare this in advance and it is brilliant.

tethersend Sun 25-Sep-11 20:34:10

Herb pie

Cheese and parsnip roulade

tethersend Sun 25-Sep-11 20:35:38

Butternut squash and feta quiche

Iamjustthemilkmachine Sun 25-Sep-11 20:41:59

There is an amazing tofu recipe, it was made on masterchef this year, it's by that tall thin guy with a difficult name, and of course I can't remember blush it's got loads of pepper (if you find it and follow it don't put any way near so much pepper), spring onions, chilli, etc and you coat the tofu squares in cornflour and fry them. With sticky rice it's delicious.

Selks Sun 25-Sep-11 20:53:57

Aubergine parmigiana (Jamie's is good, but halve the quantities) and a crisp rocket, watercress and pine nut salad?

itchywitch Mon 26-Sep-11 07:04:47

Instead of lasagne, how about cannelloni? Much easier imo as you just stuff the tubes with ricotta and spinach, cover with passata/tomato sauce and cheese and bake till pasta is cooked. Can also add feta.

Bunbaker Mon 26-Sep-11 12:32:08

I find canneloni a fiddle to stuff. When I make lasagne I use fresh pasta as it doesn't need pre-cooking.

Jezabelle Mon 26-Sep-11 16:00:35

Wow, thanks everyone! Although meze is a nice idea, we meet up every few months and all bring something nibbly, we all bring loads and it ends up creating a bit of a meze. I am particularly tempted by either the lasagne or the herb pie. Went to Tesco this morning and ended up buying a dozen scallops as they were half price!

I have stuck them in the freezer, but am now thinking that I might have to do a scallop started. Any ideas you clever people?

Jezabelle Sun 02-Oct-11 00:01:19

Ok, great night. They've just gone home and I'm a bit drunk! Did the spinach nad ricotta lasange. Thanks Bunbaker! Did scallops baked in a garlic and parsly sauce too with granary bread which was lovely.

I cheated for pud and bought an American Cheesecake from Tesco!

All very yummy. Thanks for suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now