Talk

Advanced search

What are your best recipies for Blackberry Jam and Sloe Jam?

(5 Posts)
letmehelp Sun 25-Sep-11 16:29:29

Have come back from a walk today with a large bag of each and DC are keen for us to make jam. Can anyone help?

whats4teamum Sun 25-Sep-11 20:50:47

Sloe jam would be a crime. You need to be thinking sloe vodka (gin a little medicinal in this instance - and say that as a gin lover).

Re the blackberry's they go well with apple. Did you clock any crab apple? I can highly recommend the river cottage preserves handbook. Once purchased it will pay for itself over and over.

letmehelp Mon 26-Sep-11 20:00:23

Hi Whats4tea, it's too late for the vodka, the Sloe Gin's already on the go! but DC badly want to make jam with what we have left

spiderslegs Mon 26-Sep-11 20:16:13

It's not too late for the vodka - I always make mine after the first frosts. Jam would surely require much straining & stone removal for sloes (not sure whether the stones float & can be skimmed though).

whats4teamum Mon 26-Sep-11 22:56:40

Yes agreed spider legs.

It is quite early to pick sloes. Think they need first frost on them although you can cheat and freeze them. I think you can make some jam when they have done service in the alcohol but there is the tricky issue of stone removal.
The gin will be great it is just a personal thing for vodka.

Blackberries make fab jam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now