Talk

Advanced search

Roast veg cous cous, how to make more flavourful?

(9 Posts)
Bumperlicioso Sun 25-Sep-11 10:04:29

Not sure sure that flavourful is even a word, but you know what I mean! Cous cous can be a little bland. What can I add to it?

I was planning on roasting some veg, pepper, carrot, red onion, sweet potato, cherry toms, and putting it in some cous cous with some feta, served warm/cool rather than hot. What can I add for flavour?

I have various herbs and spices (not fresh sadly, except a bit of basil), a lemon, pesto, balsamic vinegar, or I am going to the shops for icing sugar anyway. Any suggestions?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 25-Sep-11 10:19:51

Good olive oil... a few chilli flakes.... and I find it needs plenty of salt.

Santac Sun 25-Sep-11 10:21:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WillieWaggledagger Sun 25-Sep-11 10:23:47

not terribly helpful to you, but I add a couple of dollops of homemade ketchup

i would make a sort of dressing with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, maybe some mustard or a bit of honey, salt and pepper, herbs - mix it up to taste

Collision Sun 25-Sep-11 10:24:43

I use a veggie stock cube with the boiling water instead of just water and then add the vegetables.

Bumperlicioso Sun 25-Sep-11 10:26:19

Thanks for the replies. Is it best to season the veg for roasting (can't really use too much salt as it's for a baby birthday party - well, not strictly for the kids, but they may get a taste), or roast them in balsamic vinegar (have heard of that but never done it) or season the cous cous as it's cooking, or do it all after?

Antidote Sun 25-Sep-11 10:27:07

Roast some halloumi with the veg, and plenty of lemon, lime and mint when you make the couscous.

Collision Sun 25-Sep-11 10:29:51

Roast veg with oil and fresh herbs if you have any.

Boil kettle and make stock and cook couscous.

Mix together and season.

LakeFlyPie Sun 25-Sep-11 10:33:43

I use Marigold stock powder to make the cous cous and think it gives a good flavour.

A good squeeze of lemon juice before serving should bring out the flavour too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now