Talk

Advanced search

Fish pie a day ahead

(9 Posts)
lemonbonbons Sat 24-Sep-11 09:19:33

Hi,

I ve decided to make a Jamie Oliver fish pie tommorow for friends who are coming for dinner. This one www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie - with added creme fraiche.

Can I make it today and cook it , let it cool and put it in the fridge ?
Then re heat when guests arrive tommorow ?

Or will I have to make it just before they come and cook on the day making me stress about a messy kitchen and it not working out as it should

What would you do ?

smile

yellowsubmarine41 Sat 24-Sep-11 09:27:01

I made that a couple of weeks ago. It really was fantastically simple as he says on the tin and if you make it when you get up, your kitchen will be spotless.

I'm a bit of a food poisoning freak, so I probably wouldn't make it a day ahead, but I'm sure that someone more relaxed will come on soon and say it's fine.

lemonbonbons Sat 24-Sep-11 09:31:52

What did you serve with it yellow submarine ?

I'm in two minds

either aspargus , peas and sweetcorn

or crusty bread and salad.

I would not want any risk of food poisoning as there will also be a baby eating it .

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 24-Sep-11 09:49:59

I think fish is best cooked and served fresh. If it's cooked once and then reheated there is a danger it can overcook and then there's a real risk of getting that 'school dinner' effect. Fresh mash is also so much nicer than yesterday's spuds. If it was a cottage pie I'd have no hesitation in making the base the night before, popping on the mash the next day and baking it when they arrived. But fish is different.

valiumredhead Sat 24-Sep-11 12:52:11

Yes, fish pie is much better the next day imo!

jasper Sat 24-Sep-11 12:54:15

I'd have no hesitation reheating it on day two.

jasper Sat 24-Sep-11 12:57:52

Just read the recipe. Make it today , assemble it (with mashed potatoes cold) but there is no need to cook it today .

BarbaraWoodlouse Sat 24-Sep-11 12:58:44

How about prepping all the carrots, celery etc the day before.

Either peel the potatoes and leave in cold water or even go ahead and cook & mash.

Then all you are stressing about on the day is adding the fish, making and/or spreading the mash on top and cooking? Less mess....

Looks good by the way, have bookmarked the page for our next fish pie. smile

lemonbonbons Sat 24-Sep-11 13:53:02

Thank You all for your suggestions - I still don t know what to do grin But feel safe in the knowledge that whatever I decide will be ok !!!

Thank You wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now