Talk

Advanced search

Fish biscuits! (Octonaut style)

(8 Posts)
GertieGooseBoots Fri 23-Sep-11 21:29:30

I couldn't find a recipe for Octonaut-style fish biscuits online so I made one up, and I'm pretty pleased with it (although DH can't get past the idea of them being biscuits with fish in). I made some again today, and used them as cobbler-style dumplings instead of potato on fish pie, just added them on afterwards.

5oz flour (I used self-raising but plain may work better)
2oz butter or margarine
1 egg
1/2 can tuna flakes in brine
Tabasco sauce
A little milk

Rub in butter and flour.
Beat egg and stir into mixture.
Drain tuna flakes well, press out as much moisture as possible, then stir tuna flakes into mixture.
Add extra flour if mixture is too sticky, until it becomes a dough-like texture.
Add a few splashes of Tabasco sauce and mix well.
Roll out onto a floured board.
Cut into fish shapes (or, for perfectionists, make a fish template out of greaseproof paper and use that to cut around).
Place on greased baking tray and brush with a little milk.
Cook Gas Mark 6-7, or around 220C (in our fan assisted electric oven) for about 8-10 minutes or until golden.

(If you want to see what the finished product looks like, there's a picture on my blog: bit.ly/qYM1hF)

It's the first recipe I've made up that's not been a disaster! smile

CaptainMartinCrieff Fri 23-Sep-11 21:33:43

I really didn't expect to see actual fish appear in your recipe... I was expecting cutsie, yummy, fish-shaped biscuit...

So were your fish biscuits, fish shaped?

GertieGooseBoots Fri 23-Sep-11 21:53:56

Yes, I cut them into fish shapes by hand, they were a bit rough around the edges but I still think it was quicker to do that than faff about making a proper template. I don't think my kids would have appreciated the extra effort - my 10 month old's sense of aesthetic is quite forgiving at this point.

If I had a fish-shaped cutter it would have been ideal as then my 2 year old could have stamped them out, but as it was I let her make some 'starfish' with a star cutter I had.

EightiesChick Fri 23-Sep-11 21:56:28

I am in total awe of this. Were the biscuits eaten by your DC and how were they received?

GertieGooseBoots Sat 24-Sep-11 08:22:05

DS happily chomped them, but he eats everything these days. DD ate one without complaint which is an achievement, if it's something new. She declined a second one but as she's quite fussy, and it didn't end up on the floor or spat out again, I count that a success!

GertieGooseBoots Sat 24-Sep-11 08:31:38

I only did a half-batch for the pie, by the way - the full recipe makes about 12-14 biscuits all together. As biscuits on their own, first-effort, they were popular with DS, but I ended up chucking half out as I wasn't sure how long they kept for, bearing in mind they have fish in, whereas I wouldn't mind non-fishy biscuits hanging about for a few days.

hwhite6 Sat 24-Sep-11 20:08:58

Guessing you could freeze the cut-out shapes before cooking, then cook when needed, save chucking them away.
Take cooked ones on a picnic as a change from sarnies!

Might try something similar with veg in them, ds isn't too keen on those these days, but anything biscuit like is inhaled!

GertieGooseBoots Sun 25-Sep-11 12:00:15

hwhite, that freezing idea is inspired! Why did I not think of that?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now