Talk

Advanced search

Okay I have tried foods from all around the world...

(55 Posts)
RedRubyBlue Wed 21-Sep-11 11:25:40

Indian, Thai, Chinese, Italian, French, Morrocan, Spanish etc etc

Are there any hidden gems out there that are overlooked? Which country has a cuisine worth trying that is not widely known about?

dreamingbohemian Wed 21-Sep-11 11:38:51

Persian/Afghan

Indonesian

Lebanese/Syrian

ah now I'm hungry smile

Ungratefulchild Wed 21-Sep-11 11:40:15

Turkey has, imo, one of the best cuisines in the world.

RedRubyBlue Wed 21-Sep-11 11:51:22

Ahh! Now I am intrigued. I just get bored churning out the same old dishes and fancy a new challenge.

Something very, very different.

I shall start at the top and look up Persian.

mamsnet Wed 21-Sep-11 11:52:50

Peruvian food seems to be the next new thing in fusion and creativity.. yummy..

RedRubyBlue Wed 21-Sep-11 11:54:32

this sounds like a good winter dish

Cheria Wed 21-Sep-11 12:00:08

Romanian. Yum.

And some German dishes are exceptional (though not Bavarian... ugh) thinking more along the lines of Black Forest.

I'd agree with Persian too

winnybella Wed 21-Sep-11 12:03:51

Polish cuisine has some lovely hearty winter dishes (soups, dumplings etc) and nice summer foods (cold beet or cucumber soup, for example) as does Russian.

Curiousmama Wed 21-Sep-11 12:04:17

Never tried Peruvian? Will be watching with interest.

JennyPiccolo Wed 21-Sep-11 12:07:28

Have you had proper restaurant quality scottish food? Think it would surprise you.

allhailtheaubergine Wed 21-Sep-11 12:10:23

Vietnamese. Very sweet / salty / spicy. Really good.

Also, although you say 'Indian' have you really explored dishes from different regions? Eg I'm not madly keen on a lot of Rajistani cooking - a bit cloying and heavy for me, while I adore Kerelan dishes, particularly Kerelan street food. Vegetarian heaven! I think that British Indian exists as a food genre in its own right and a perfectly cooked Bradford Dopiaza can be fantastic, but it bears little resemblance to food eaten every day in most parts of India.

You can do similar with Chinese - it's a big country and 'Chinese food' is about as diverse as 'European food'. Regional Chinese is easier to find in better UK restaurants though.

Curiousmama Wed 21-Sep-11 12:11:11

Thanks for Peruvian tip had a google and am doing this for dinner tonight. Dss will enjoy it too smile

Great thread op.

Curiousmama Wed 21-Sep-11 12:11:45

Agree re: Indian. Have you ever tried masala fish?

RedRubyBlue Wed 21-Sep-11 12:37:54

I was lucky enough to travel quite widely in India and agree with the Keralan food. Very spicy but quite light - not stodgy.

I have tried Vietnamese - again I spent quite a long time there. The white fish in ginger is to die for.

Jenny

My Dad was Scottish and my mum lives on a Scottish island. I agree, the seafood especially is fantastic and tonight we are going to have haggis for supper. I introduced my DP to haggis as he was reluctant and now he loves it and we have it regularly.

Lizzylou Wed 21-Sep-11 12:42:06

Agree with Peruvian, also Nepalese is lovely.

I was not fond of my Armenian experience, played havoc with my system.

RedRubyBlue Wed 21-Sep-11 12:49:29

Icelandic is ermm different

hmm

midnightexpress Wed 21-Sep-11 12:51:03

Korean.

pamplemousserose Wed 21-Sep-11 12:51:53

Indonesian. Swedish.mmmmmm

sprogger Wed 21-Sep-11 12:54:05

Sri Lankan. Vietnamese. Indonesian. Turkish. Mexican (real Mexican, not Tex-Mex - try recipes by Diana Kennedy or Rick Bayless).

PublicHair Wed 21-Sep-11 13:03:48

lebanese, nepalese, south american (we had feiojada for tea yday) it's a stew with beans,you have it with shredded raw cabbage and quinoa\bulgur type stuff.

RedRubyBlue Wed 21-Sep-11 13:06:15

Lizzy

What was wrong with Armenian food?

SeoraeMaeul Wed 21-Sep-11 13:13:17

Totally second MidnightExpress.... Korean food is yummy. Well Ok some of it tastes better when knocked back with Soju their local tipple, but in general its great.

goodasgold Wed 21-Sep-11 13:14:24

I second Korean food. My favourite.

worldgonecrazy Wed 21-Sep-11 13:16:14

Nepalese is probably my favourite after Italian and French.

SeoraeMaeul Wed 21-Sep-11 13:16:33

Who knew there were so many Kimchi lovers on MN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now